As the daughter of Oscar-winning screenwriter Ring Lardner Jr. – and granddaughter of all-purpose man of letters Ring Sr. – Kate Lardner probably would have had a good story even if her dad hadn’t been one of the famed ”Hollywood Ten” and jailed in 1950 during the notorious HUAC hearings. She recalls his incarcerated year (and the almost-as-difficult blacklist aftermath) with a nimble crosscutting of personal memories and reproduced letters. Her own recollections are sketchy, but the letters reveal the courageously cheerful way her parents coped, lingering over such matters as Christmas gifts or a new car. To read between the lines of her father’s jaunty missives is to discover a refined, bittersweet sense of irony.
Shut Up He Explained As the daughter of Oscar-winning screenwriter Ring Lardner Jr. -- and granddaughter of all-purpose man of letters Ring Sr. -- Kate Lardner probably...Shut Up He ExplainedNonfictionKate Lardner As the daughter of Oscar-winning screenwriter Ring Lardner Jr. -- and granddaughter of all-purpose man of letters Ring Sr. -- Kate Lardner probably...2004-05-21
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Kate Lardner
Posted May 21 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Friends co-creator: Those $1 million cast salaries were 'ridiculous'
- See a clip from Lifetime's 'The Unauthorized Full House Story'
- NatGeo announces 'Big Game of Thrones,' admits HBO won't let them keep title
- Bryan Cranston’s 'Sneaky Pete' pilot picked up by Amazon
- Get haunted by trailer for 'The Listing'
- President Bill Clinton to appear on 'StarTalk' season 2 premiere
- Graceland sneak peek: Paige is going undercover with the Sarkissians
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Tyra Banks, The Madden Bros., Taylor Schilling & More!