As the daughter of Oscar-winning screenwriter Ring Lardner Jr. – and granddaughter of all-purpose man of letters Ring Sr. – Kate Lardner probably would have had a good story even if her dad hadn’t been one of the famed ”Hollywood Ten” and jailed in 1950 during the notorious HUAC hearings. She recalls his incarcerated year (and the almost-as-difficult blacklist aftermath) with a nimble crosscutting of personal memories and reproduced letters. Her own recollections are sketchy, but the letters reveal the courageously cheerful way her parents coped, lingering over such matters as Christmas gifts or a new car. To read between the lines of her father’s jaunty missives is to discover a refined, bittersweet sense of irony.
Shut Up He Explained As the daughter of Oscar-winning screenwriter Ring Lardner Jr. -- and granddaughter of all-purpose man of letters Ring Sr. -- Kate Lardner probably...Shut Up He ExplainedNonfictionKate Lardner As the daughter of Oscar-winning screenwriter Ring Lardner Jr. -- and granddaughter of all-purpose man of letters Ring Sr. -- Kate Lardner probably...2004-05-21
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Kate Lardner
Posted May 21 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Diana Douglas, mother of Michael Douglas and ex-wife of Kirk Douglas, dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- Bubba Watson says he's removing Confederate flag from his 'Dukes of Hazzard' car
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!