Producer Michael Todd’s adaptation of Jules Verne’s continent-hopping novel finally gets the lavish DVD treatment it deserves. Thanks to a wide-screen digital transfer, the Oscar-winning epic’s colors really pop, and the performances remain vivid too. Unflappable Englishman Phileas Fogg (Niven) wagers that he can circle the globe in 80 days (in 1872), along with his ever-resourceful manservant, Passepartout (Cantinflas). Though the three-hour running time is daunting, old-Hollywood buffs will enjoy playing spot the celebrity: Frank Sinatra, Marlene Dietrich, Peter Lorre, Buster Keaton, Noel Coward, and John Gielgud are among the stars who make cameos. And the Indian princess? A young Shirley MacLaine. EXTRAS The loaded two-disc package includes outtakes, trailers, and a profile of Todd narrated by Orson Welles. Eat your heart out, Jackie Chan.
Posted May 28 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Box office preview: 'Straight Outta Compton' set for third weekend at the top
- O.J. Simpson documentaries to air on A&E and LMN
- 'Grandfathered' enlists JoAnna Garcia Swisher
- Things look dark in trailer for Kristen Wiig's new movie 'Nasty Baby'
- Bill Murray earns his 20 percent in 'Rock the Kasbah' trailer
- Daniel Craig's go-to hangover cure is ...
- IFC postpones episode of 'Documentary Now!' in wake of WBDJ shooting
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Alison & Will, Julianne Hough, Rafael Nadal & More!