Forget about Emeril, Wolfgang, and Rocco. The world’s first celebrity chef was Antonin Careme, an 18th-century Paris street urchin who shot to fame by cooking for everyone from Napoleon Bonaparte and the Rothschilds to Tsar Alexander and the Romanov court. Careme popularized, among other things, haute cuisine, the souffle, and the stiff white toques that top the heads of modern chefs. His cookbooks were also blockbusters, earning him royalties of 20,000 francs in 1832 alone. With writing both breathless and exacting, British author/actor Kelly (who’s currently performing in his own one-man Off Broadway show about Careme) plunges deep into gilded royal kitchens for a tale of intricate recipe development, political intrigue, and brutish working conditions. If nothing else, Careme’s elaborate menus – some boasted nearly 130 dishes – will make your next dinner party seem like a snap.
Cooking For Kings Forget about Emeril, Wolfgang, and Rocco. The world's first celebrity chef was Antonin Careme, an 18th-century Paris street urchin who shot to fame by...Cooking For KingsNonfictionIan Kelly Forget about Emeril, Wolfgang, and Rocco. The world's first celebrity chef was Antonin Careme, an 18th-century Paris street urchin who shot to fame by...2004-05-28
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Ian Kelly
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!