Forget about Emeril, Wolfgang, and Rocco. The world’s first celebrity chef was Antonin Careme, an 18th-century Paris street urchin who shot to fame by cooking for everyone from Napoleon Bonaparte and the Rothschilds to Tsar Alexander and the Romanov court. Careme popularized, among other things, haute cuisine, the souffle, and the stiff white toques that top the heads of modern chefs. His cookbooks were also blockbusters, earning him royalties of 20,000 francs in 1832 alone. With writing both breathless and exacting, British author/actor Kelly (who’s currently performing in his own one-man Off Broadway show about Careme) plunges deep into gilded royal kitchens for a tale of intricate recipe development, political intrigue, and brutish working conditions. If nothing else, Careme’s elaborate menus – some boasted nearly 130 dishes – will make your next dinner party seem like a snap.
Cooking For Kings Forget about Emeril, Wolfgang, and Rocco. The world's first celebrity chef was Antonin Careme, an 18th-century Paris street urchin who shot to fame by...Cooking For KingsNonfictionIan Kelly Forget about Emeril, Wolfgang, and Rocco. The world's first celebrity chef was Antonin Careme, an 18th-century Paris street urchin who shot to fame by...2004-05-28
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Ian Kelly
Posted May 28 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Benicio Del Toro hints again at 'Star Wars: Episode VIII' involvement
- 'Key & Peele' prove Neil deGrasse Tyson can use his brain to get out of anything
- 'Arrow' first look: Check out Diggle's new super suit
- 'House of Cards' actor joins 'Luke Cage' as Cottonmouth
- Anne Hathaway says she's already losing roles to younger actresses
- See Daniel Radcliffe play 'Grand Theft Auto' creator in new movie
- The 'Age of Ultron' gag reel proves the Avengers are only human (well, except Thor)
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- Heidi & Howie, Chris Evans, Kelly Rowland and More!