What becomes a legend most? Not this motley collection of DVD releases hoping to ride Brad Pitt’s tunic into the spotlight. The problem is that viewers hoping to get their Brad or Orlando freak on probably aren’t interested in Bronze Age history, and vice versa. In Search of the Trojan War (Unrated, 345 mins., 1985, BBC) is an acceptable but dated trawl through what little is known of the conflict, with comments from scholar/star Michael Wood along the lines of ”What we really need to know is the internal political geography of mainland Greece.” Troy: Unearthing the Legend (Unrated, 319 mins., 2004, History Channel) is a loss-leader set that packages an ”Ancient Mysteries” episode narrated by Leonard Nimoy, an A&E ”Treasure!” on Trojan gold, and a three-hour doc on the rise and fall of Sparta – which is like tacking a show about the Depression onto a DVD about the American Revolution. The 300 Spartans (Unrated, 108 mins., 1962, Fox) turns the 480 B.C. Battle of Thermopylae into a Cold War allegory, with freedom-loving Spartans (who, uh, owned slaves) sacrificing themselves to halt the hordes of Persian dictator Xerxes. It has hilariously anachronistic dialogue (”The Spartans fight like machines!”), but those helmet plumes do look kick-ass, and director Rudy Mate gets points for casting Sir Ralph Richardson as voice of democracy Themistocles – and gets them taken away when the slave girls dance the frug.
In Search of the Trojan War What becomes a legend most? Not this motley collection of DVD releases hoping to ride Brad Pitt's tunic into the spotlight. The problem is that...In Search of the Trojan WarDocumentaryUnrated What becomes a legend most? Not this motley collection of DVD releases hoping to ride Brad Pitt's tunic into the spotlight. The problem is that...2004-05-28
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Michael Wood; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted May 28 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Ben Affleck is a math genius with a secret in 'The Accountant' trailer
- WATCH: 'Pretty Little Liars' stars show 'Harry Potter' love
- Joe Biden loves the word 'malarkey'
- HBO renews 'Ballers' for season 3
- Serena Williams answers 73 random questions for Vogue
- Bindi Irwin praises Ariel Winter's body confidence
- Garry Marshall's 'The Flamingo Kid' is going to be a stage musical
- 'Alice in Wonderland': Witticisms and Wisdom From the Disney Classic
- 'John Tucker Must Die': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Captivating International Crime Thrillers
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?