In Wakefield when the devil shows up in the apartment of a disillusioned motivational speaker named Wakefield, the two strike a deal over single-malt scotch. The horned one doesn’t want Wakefield’s soul (for, as he points out, ”you’re assuming, dear sir, that you have one”), but proof our protagonist has an ”authentic life” and is therefore worthy of remaining on earth. So Wakefield, who gives talks on such comically diffuse topics as ”Money and Poetry (with a Detour in Art),” sets out on a soul-searching lecture tour, keeping company with lesbian fashion models, opponents of cultural imperialism, and S&M strippers. Beelzebub, meanwhile, undergoes a psychological slump of his own. With the sophisticated, philosophical wit we’ve come to expect from his NPR commentaries, Codrescu weaves a fantastical, postmodern tale in which plastic surgery, architecture, and technology are metaphors for the human condition.
WakefieldIn Wakefield when the devil shows up in the apartment of a disillusioned motivational speaker named Wakefield, the two strike a deal over single...WakefieldFictionAndrei CodrescuIn Wakefield when the devil shows up in the apartment of a disillusioned motivational speaker named Wakefield, the two strike a deal over single...2004-05-28Algonquin Books
Genre: Fiction; Author: Andrei Codrescu; Status: In Season; Publisher: Algonquin Books
Posted May 28 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'SNL' preview: What to expect from Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes?
- 'Parks and Rec': On set for the final day
- John Green's 'Alaska' scriptwriters set
- Craig Ferguson set for ABC comedy pilot
- Will Smith back in 'Focus': What critics said
- 'The Red Road's Jason Momoa on season 2 and when we can expect Aquaman in action
- Look, but don't retouch? What our female celeb photo fascination says about us
- 20 TV series that nailed it with their very first scenes
- 'Last Man on Earth' guys salute inspirations
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Susan Sarandon, Prince William and More!