In Wakefield when the devil shows up in the apartment of a disillusioned motivational speaker named Wakefield, the two strike a deal over single-malt scotch. The horned one doesn’t want Wakefield’s soul (for, as he points out, ”you’re assuming, dear sir, that you have one”), but proof our protagonist has an ”authentic life” and is therefore worthy of remaining on earth. So Wakefield, who gives talks on such comically diffuse topics as ”Money and Poetry (with a Detour in Art),” sets out on a soul-searching lecture tour, keeping company with lesbian fashion models, opponents of cultural imperialism, and S&M strippers. Beelzebub, meanwhile, undergoes a psychological slump of his own. With the sophisticated, philosophical wit we’ve come to expect from his NPR commentaries, Codrescu weaves a fantastical, postmodern tale in which plastic surgery, architecture, and technology are metaphors for the human condition.
WakefieldIn Wakefield when the devil shows up in the apartment of a disillusioned motivational speaker named Wakefield, the two strike a deal over single...WakefieldFictionAndrei CodrescuIn Wakefield when the devil shows up in the apartment of a disillusioned motivational speaker named Wakefield, the two strike a deal over single...2004-05-28Algonquin Books
Genre: Fiction; Author: Andrei Codrescu; Publisher: Algonquin Books
Posted May 28 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Billy Joel's surprise July 4 wedding
- Penn & Teller reveal the craziest tricks from their upcoming Broadway show
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Michael Douglas' mother dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!