In Mooseport, Maine, plumber Handy (Romano) runs for mayor against former U.S. President ”Eagle” Cole (Hackman), after the newly single ex-prez takes a liking to Handy’s long-suffering girlfriend (Maura Tierney). Failing to emulate the eccentric small-town feel of ”Groundhog Day” or even ”Doc Hollywood,” ”Mooseport” is remarkably unfunny: Its jokes are as stale as Rose Garden patter, and Hackman seems unbothered by the irony of playing a living legend demeaned by humiliating circumstance. As his secretary (Marcia Gay Harden) chides him at one point, ”You used to be better than that.” EXTRAS No Romano commentary, which might have salvaged the DVD, but the deleted scene of Handy’s impromptu press conference is better than the whole movie.
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Gene Hackman, Ray Romano, Heather Allin, Christine Baranski, Marcia Gay Harden, Maura Tierney; Director: Donald Petrie; Author: Doug Richardson; Release Date Wide: 02/13/2004; Runtime (in minutes): 110; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- Golden Trailer Awards 2015: The winners list
- 'Criminal Minds' finale react: Another BAU member takes their leave
- Casting Net: 'Revenge' star Emily VanCamp returns for 'Captain America: Civil War'
- Jennifer Love Hewitt not returning to 'Criminal Minds': EW exclusive
- 'Kevin Hart: What Now?' and 'Barbershop 3' given 2016 release dates
- 'Mindy Project' axed at Fox; hope at Hulu?
- 'Vampire Diaries': Julie Plec on finale, Nina Dobrev farewell
- Free Comic Book Day: 15 superhero must-reads
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- Chrissy & John, Reese Witherspoon, Charles Esten & More!