In Mooseport, Maine, plumber Handy (Romano) runs for mayor against former U.S. President ”Eagle” Cole (Hackman), after the newly single ex-prez takes a liking to Handy’s long-suffering girlfriend (Maura Tierney). Failing to emulate the eccentric small-town feel of ”Groundhog Day” or even ”Doc Hollywood,” ”Mooseport” is remarkably unfunny: Its jokes are as stale as Rose Garden patter, and Hackman seems unbothered by the irony of playing a living legend demeaned by humiliating circumstance. As his secretary (Marcia Gay Harden) chides him at one point, ”You used to be better than that.” EXTRAS No Romano commentary, which might have salvaged the DVD, but the deleted scene of Handy’s impromptu press conference is better than the whole movie.
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Gene Hackman, Ray Romano, Heather Allin, Christine Baranski, Marcia Gay Harden, Maura Tierney; Director: Donald Petrie; Author: Doug Richardson; Release Date Wide: 02/13/2004; Runtime (in minutes): 110; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted May 28 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Netflix sets 'Gilmore Girls' premiere date
- 'Awkward' star Beau Mirchoff joins 'Flatliners' reboot
- Weekend Update team pokes fun at Bernie Sanders supporters at DNC
- Joe Jonas surprises Demi Lovato with 'Camp Rock' reunion
- Jesse Tyler Ferguson auditions to play Thomas Jefferson at #Ham4Ham
- Lorde's Uber driver didn't recognize her
- Lupita Nyong'o and David Oyelowo star in trailer for 'Queen of Katwe'
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels