In Mooseport, Maine, plumber Handy (Romano) runs for mayor against former U.S. President ”Eagle” Cole (Hackman), after the newly single ex-prez takes a liking to Handy’s long-suffering girlfriend (Maura Tierney). Failing to emulate the eccentric small-town feel of ”Groundhog Day” or even ”Doc Hollywood,” ”Mooseport” is remarkably unfunny: Its jokes are as stale as Rose Garden patter, and Hackman seems unbothered by the irony of playing a living legend demeaned by humiliating circumstance. As his secretary (Marcia Gay Harden) chides him at one point, ”You used to be better than that.” EXTRAS No Romano commentary, which might have salvaged the DVD, but the deleted scene of Handy’s impromptu press conference is better than the whole movie.
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Gene Hackman, Ray Romano, Heather Allin, Christine Baranski, Marcia Gay Harden, Maura Tierney; Director: Donald Petrie; Author: Doug Richardson; Release Date Wide: 02/13/2004; Runtime (in minutes): 110; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted May 28 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- President Obama roasts Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump
- Black Panther vs. Winter Soldier in 'Captain America: Civil War' clip
- Beyonce postpones 'Formation' tour's Nashville concert stop
- 'The Martian' extended cut has 10 minutes of extra footage
- Woody Harrelson denied medical marijuana dispensary license: Report
- WATCH: How Ryan Gosling put Margaret Qualley at ease on 'Nice Guys'
- See President Obama's Very First White House Correspondents Dinner
- 13 Times Real Pain Inspired Great Art
- Destiny's Child's Best Matching Outfits Through the Years
- 'The Simpsons': See the Voices Behind Your Favorite Characters
- All the Photos From Beyonce's 'Formation' Tour
- 40 Celebrities Who Threw Out The First Pitch