In Mooseport, Maine, plumber Handy (Romano) runs for mayor against former U.S. President ”Eagle” Cole (Hackman), after the newly single ex-prez takes a liking to Handy’s long-suffering girlfriend (Maura Tierney). Failing to emulate the eccentric small-town feel of ”Groundhog Day” or even ”Doc Hollywood,” ”Mooseport” is remarkably unfunny: Its jokes are as stale as Rose Garden patter, and Hackman seems unbothered by the irony of playing a living legend demeaned by humiliating circumstance. As his secretary (Marcia Gay Harden) chides him at one point, ”You used to be better than that.” EXTRAS No Romano commentary, which might have salvaged the DVD, but the deleted scene of Handy’s impromptu press conference is better than the whole movie.
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Gene Hackman, Ray Romano, Heather Allin, Christine Baranski, Marcia Gay Harden, Maura Tierney; Director: Donald Petrie; Author: Doug Richardson; Release Date Wide: 02/13/2004; Runtime (in minutes): 110; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted May 28 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Mark Ruffalo: 'Thor: Ragnarok' will be a 'buddy road movie'
- 'Adventure Time' exclusive video: Fionna and Cake return!
- Blake Shelton details writing process on new album 'If I'm Honest'
- JoJo watches 'The Bachelorette' just like everyone else
- Little Big Town announce new album 'Wanderlust,' produced by Pharrell
- Kimmel's 'Baby Bachelorette' deserves its own first impression unicorn
- 'Game of Thrones' stars play Conan in video game