If the Buena Vista Social Club had consisted of just one member, the documentary about it might have looked a lot like I’ll Sing for You. The man in question is Boubacar Traoré, who was known in the early ’60s as Karkar, the Elvis of Mali. We see him in vintage clips and guitar-stud photos, singing anthems of independence, and then later, in 2001, when he returns to his native African land as an aging folksinger, with a trancelike voice that merges with his curlicued guitar playing almost as if it were another string on the instrument. Traoré is a hypnotic musician and, from what we can tell, a gentle and pensive soul, but the truth is that we learn very little about him. ”I’ll Sing for You” is one of those sanctifying docs that rambles when it should explore.
I'll Sing For YouIf the Buena Vista Social Club had consisted of just one member, the documentary about it might have looked a lot like I'll Sing for You. The man...I'll Sing For YouDocumentary, Foreign LanguageJacques SarasinPT80MUnratedIf the Buena Vista Social Club had consisted of just one member, the documentary about it might have looked a lot like I'll Sing for You. The man...2004-06-02First Run Features
Genre: Documentary, Foreign Language; Director: Jacques Sarasin; Author: Jacques Sarasin; Runtime (in minutes): 80; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: First Run Features
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!