This much of The Story of the Weeping Camel is true: When a camel rejects her colt following a difficult birth, traditional Mongolian nomads really do turn to a musical ritual that frequently causes the mother camel to ”weep” in the course of bonding with her offspring – the source of the tears a mystery, of course, to humans who don’t speak Bactrian. The National Geographic imprimatur on this lilting documentary-style narrative by filmmakers Byambasuren Davaa and Luigi Falorni affirms the film’s thoughtful attention to national geography and the barren grandeur of the Gobi Desert. But the vivid fictional specifics, and the simple loveliness of the artless performances by nonactor Mongolian nomads, attest to the filmmakers’ abundant artistry.
The Story of the Weeping CamelThis much of The Story of the Weeping Camel is true: When a camel rejects her colt following a difficult birth, traditional Mongolian nomads really...The Story of the Weeping CamelDocumentaryPT90MPGThis much of The Story of the Weeping Camel is true: When a camel rejects her colt following a difficult birth, traditional Mongolian nomads really...2004-06-02THINKFilm
Genre: Documentary; Director: Byambasuren Davaa, Luigi Falorni; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: THINKFilm
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- 'Star Wars' Celebration panel on 'Rogue One' and other stand-alones: We're live blogging it
- 'Furious 7' holds off 'Paul Blart' to win box office for third weekend in a row
- Victoria Justice breaks news to fans on Twitter: 'Eye Candy' canceled by MTV
- Jon Stewart explains why he quit 'The Daily Show'
- Jason Sudeikis on present (two Tribeca films), past ('SNL'), and future ('Fletch'?)
- 'Outlander' boss on Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Kellie Pickler, Julia Roberts, Taylor Swift & More!