Just because you’re a household name doesn’t mean you’re guaranteed a spot on TV’s fall schedule. Ask Jessica Simpson, Chris O’Donnell, Gina Gershon, and a host of other actors who saw their TV careers slip away when the networks announced their new lineups earlier this month. The most significant rejection slip may have gone to Ms. Stinky Ass herself, whose ABC comedy had her touted as the next Kelly Ripa. But the net’s brass nixed Simpson’s turn as a ditzy TV reporter. ”It wasn’t the best vehicle for her,” admits ABC entertainment president Stephen McPherson. ”So we’re gonna do a bunch of specials with her instead. She can sing and really be a star.” No such consolation prizes for Gina Gershon, whose ABC comedy (costarring Simpson’s husband, Nick Lachey) failed to make the cut. Her portrayal of a hot single mom was ”just not funny,” says a producer on the pilot. The same could be said for the NBC comedy ”Everyday Life,” starring Rob Reiner and Mercedes Ruehl, and CBS’ ”The Amazing Westerbergs” with Chris O’Donnell (”He wasn’t funny enough to center a show around,” says a net insider). ”Just because a star’s attached doesn’t necessarily mean it’s going to get picked up. If it’s no good, it’s no good,” says United Talent Agency partner Martin Lesak. ”At the same time, if a star has any judgment at all, he shouldn’t want his show picked up if it’s bad.”
Posted June 4 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Is there a 'Blacklist' baby on the way?
- Gloria Estefan on Syrian refugees: 'There are ways to help this out'
- Adele announces European tour
- 'The Royals' exclusive: See Queen Helena's catfight with the new Prime Minister
- 'Survivor' host Jeff Probst on how his son helped shape a challenge
- Paul Walker's father sues Porsche for wrongful death, negligence
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' dishes out two more brutal blindsides
- 8 Times 'Jessica Jones' Pulled Directly From Its Comic Book
- Taraji P. Henson's Biggest Moments in 2015
- Holiday Gift Guide: For the TV Fanatic
- 19 TV Families That Will Make You Thankful for Yours
- Literature's 8 Most Dysfunctional Thanksgiving Dinners
- 'Captain America: Civil War': Decoding the New Trailer