Early on in her fourth personal account (fifth if you count her 1991 ”novel,” Thicker Than Water), the daughter of the famously incestuous father and famously neglectful mother claims, ”I was increasingly bored by what had once compelled me: hashing and rehashing past agonies.” Actually, there’s no sign of Harrison’s self-fascination waning as she chronicles, with breathtaking narcissism, her descent into depression after she stops breast-feeding her daughter. The only relief for Harrison’s pain is to have the body of her 17-years-dead mother exhumed and cremated, so that she may dump the ashes and thereby free herself from those haunting maternal clutches. Knot runs a slight 82 pages; hopefully Harrison has finally run out of steam on the subject. As ever, the book showcases her startling, lyrical language – ”my bones sang with pain” – but her skills are ultimately wasted.
The Mother Knot Early on in her fourth personal account (fifth if you count her 1991 ''novel,'' Thicker Than Water), the daughter of the famously incestuous father...The Mother KnotKathryn Harrison Early on in her fourth personal account (fifth if you count her 1991 ''novel,'' Thicker Than Water), the daughter of the famously incestuous father...2004-06-04Random House
Author: Kathryn Harrison; Publisher: Random House
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- 'Person of Interest' season 4 finale react: A new world order
- 'Forever' exec producer on Henry's secret--safe or out?
- Casting Net: Ashton Kutcher, Josh Hartnett cast in James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Tom Brokaw vs. cancer: 'Dateline' special
- 'New Girl' react: A modest proposal
- 'New Girl' boss on that season finale shocker--and what's next
- 'Law & Order: SVU' welcomes back familiar faces; get the scoop, watch a sneak peek
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Rob & Kate, Anna Kendrick, Vanessa & Selena and More!