Early on in her fourth personal account (fifth if you count her 1991 ”novel,” Thicker Than Water), the daughter of the famously incestuous father and famously neglectful mother claims, ”I was increasingly bored by what had once compelled me: hashing and rehashing past agonies.” Actually, there’s no sign of Harrison’s self-fascination waning as she chronicles, with breathtaking narcissism, her descent into depression after she stops breast-feeding her daughter. The only relief for Harrison’s pain is to have the body of her 17-years-dead mother exhumed and cremated, so that she may dump the ashes and thereby free herself from those haunting maternal clutches. Knot runs a slight 82 pages; hopefully Harrison has finally run out of steam on the subject. As ever, the book showcases her startling, lyrical language – ”my bones sang with pain” – but her skills are ultimately wasted.
The Mother Knot Early on in her fourth personal account (fifth if you count her 1991 ''novel,'' Thicker Than Water), the daughter of the famously incestuous father...The Mother KnotKathryn Harrison Early on in her fourth personal account (fifth if you count her 1991 ''novel,'' Thicker Than Water), the daughter of the famously incestuous father...2004-06-04Random House
Author: Kathryn Harrison; Publisher: Random House
Posted June 4 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Anthony Geary may return to 'General Hospital' if 'story is interesting'
- See the first trailer for Michael Bay's Benghazi movie
- Did 'Scream' just reveal the killer?
- Cindy Crawford is developing NBC series about fashion in the '80s
- Chris Pine reportedly signed for 'Wonder Woman'
- 'Orange Is the New Black': What happened to Nicky Nichols?
- 'Empire' creator goes behind the scenes of 'American Crime Story'
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Ellie Kemper, Matthew Fox, The VS Angels & More!