Smart but slight, Bezmozgis’ debut offers a bracing variation on the familiar saga of the Jewish immigrant boy coming of age in a big North American city. In 1980, narrator Mark Berman arrives in Toronto from the Soviet Union, and in seven accomplished, if unsurprising, linked tales describes his childhood misdemeanors, his raucous family life, his complicated, evolving feelings about being a Jew (”Though I never heard dirty Jew, dirty Russian tended to come up. Particularly at Hebrew School”), and his sexual awakening courtesy of 14-year-old Natasha, just off the plane from Moscow. Damaged, icy, and enigmatic, Natasha seduces nearly everyone she encounters. A book of stories from Natasha’s perspective – now that would have been unforgettable.
Natasha Smart but slight, Bezmozgis' debut offers a bracing variation on the familiar saga of the Jewish immigrant boy coming of age in a big North American...NatashaShort Stories, FictionDavid Bezmozgis Smart but slight, Bezmozgis' debut offers a bracing variation on the familiar saga of the Jewish immigrant boy coming of age in a big North American...2004-06-04Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Genre: Short Stories, Fiction; Author: David Bezmozgis; Publisher: Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson hosts 'SNL': Talk about it here
- Hugh Jackman teases final go-round as 'Wolverine' on Instagram
- J.K. Rowling's 'Casual Vacancy' miniseries gets a trailer
- Sacha Baron Cohen to write, direct, produce, and star in Freddie Mercury biopic
- Justin Moore on touring with Miranda Lambert, new music, and getting to play Madison Square Garden
- What we're reading now: Hammer Head by Nina MacLaughlin
- 'Daily Show': Trevor Noah's name floats as possible host; get a quick intro to his work
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Kate Mara, Sienna Miller & More!