In his thoughtful, beautifully rendered 1993 novel On Love, de Botton structured the most unwieldy of subjects – passion and the end of an affair – as a quasi-academic dissertation. With Anxiety, de Botton takes a similar approach, exploring both humans’ eternal doubt of self-worth as well as possible palliative measures through art, philosophy, and religion. De Botton incorporates a vast amount of knowledge into his thesis, but this does ultimately read like a thesis, better suited to a graduate student’s syllabus than to an armchair reader.
Status Anxiety In his thoughtful, beautifully rendered 1993 novel On Love, de Botton structured the most unwieldy of subjects -- passion and the end of an affair --...Status AnxietySelf-Help and Psychology, Nonfiction, Philosophy and ReligionAlain de Botton In his thoughtful, beautifully rendered 1993 novel On Love, de Botton structured the most unwieldy of subjects -- passion and the end of an affair --...2004-06-04Pantheon
Genre: Self-Help and Psychology, Nonfiction, Philosophy and Religion; Author: Alain de Botton; Publisher: Pantheon
Posted June 4 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Graceland' postmortem: Is Paige in over her head?
- 'Wet Hot' creators provide teases for 40 characters in the prequel
- Patricia Arquette to voice witch in 'Troll: The Rise of Harry Potter Jr.'
- Caitlyn Jenner practices her 'feminine voice' in 'I Am Cait' clip
- Dwayne Johnson on Hulk Hogan's racist rant: 'We've all talked trash'
- Jared Padalecki posted his first-ever #TBT: 13 more 'Supernatural' throwbacks
- Betty White is furious about the killing of Cecil the lion
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!