”Imagine the brain…that mouse-gray parliament of cells, that dream factory, that petit tyrant inside a ball of bone, that huddle of neurons calling all the plays, that little everywhere, that fickle pleasuredome, that wrinkled wardrobe of selves stuffed into the skull like too many clothes into a gym bag.” The first line of Alchemy is an eyeful and earful of what’s to come, as Ackerman (A Natural History of the Senses) marshals research to deliver a lovely, if meandering, discourse on brain science. As she touches on thought, memory, dreams, desire, and personality, Ackerman’s language is so graceful, so arresting, that it almost – but never quite – distracts from her subject.
An Alchemy Of Mind ''Imagine the brain...that mouse-gray parliament of cells, that dream factory, that petit tyrant inside a ball of bone, that huddle of neurons calling...An Alchemy Of MindNonfiction, Science and TechnologyDiane Ackerman ''Imagine the brain...that mouse-gray parliament of cells, that dream factory, that petit tyrant inside a ball of bone, that huddle of neurons calling...2004-06-11Scribner
Genre: Nonfiction, Science and Technology; Author: Diane Ackerman; Publisher: Scribner
Posted June 11 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- New 'Downton Abbey' trailer previews final season
- 'Les Miserables' actor dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 5 best non-singles from Kanye West's 'Late Registration' on its 10th anniversary
- 'Supernatural': Jensen Ackles talks season 11's female big bad
- See the Foo Fighters rock out with Blues Traveler's John Popper
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!