”Imagine the brain…that mouse-gray parliament of cells, that dream factory, that petit tyrant inside a ball of bone, that huddle of neurons calling all the plays, that little everywhere, that fickle pleasuredome, that wrinkled wardrobe of selves stuffed into the skull like too many clothes into a gym bag.” The first line of Alchemy is an eyeful and earful of what’s to come, as Ackerman (A Natural History of the Senses) marshals research to deliver a lovely, if meandering, discourse on brain science. As she touches on thought, memory, dreams, desire, and personality, Ackerman’s language is so graceful, so arresting, that it almost – but never quite – distracts from her subject.
An Alchemy Of Mind ''Imagine the brain...that mouse-gray parliament of cells, that dream factory, that petit tyrant inside a ball of bone, that huddle of neurons calling...An Alchemy Of MindNonfiction, Science and TechnologyDiane Ackerman ''Imagine the brain...that mouse-gray parliament of cells, that dream factory, that petit tyrant inside a ball of bone, that huddle of neurons calling...2004-06-11Scribner
Genre: Nonfiction, Science and Technology; Author: Diane Ackerman; Publisher: Scribner
Posted June 11 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Crimson Peak' exclusive: Mia Wasikowska flees the darkness in Guillermo del Toro's Gothic chiller
- Beach reads: 15 heart-stopping thrillers to dive into this summer
- Zack Snyder defends ‘Man of Steel’ ending: You can’t have superheroes knock around with no consequences
- 50 Songs for 50 States: EW's favorite patriotic pop through the years
- 'Big Brother': Julie Chen answers our burning Q's about Jace, Audrey, and a twist
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- Ava DuVernay won't direct Marvel film
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Eddie Redmayne, Eva Longoria, Flo Rida & More!