”Imagine the brain…that mouse-gray parliament of cells, that dream factory, that petit tyrant inside a ball of bone, that huddle of neurons calling all the plays, that little everywhere, that fickle pleasuredome, that wrinkled wardrobe of selves stuffed into the skull like too many clothes into a gym bag.” The first line of Alchemy is an eyeful and earful of what’s to come, as Ackerman (A Natural History of the Senses) marshals research to deliver a lovely, if meandering, discourse on brain science. As she touches on thought, memory, dreams, desire, and personality, Ackerman’s language is so graceful, so arresting, that it almost – but never quite – distracts from her subject.
An Alchemy Of Mind ''Imagine the brain...that mouse-gray parliament of cells, that dream factory, that petit tyrant inside a ball of bone, that huddle of neurons calling...An Alchemy Of MindNonfiction, Science and TechnologyDiane Ackerman ''Imagine the brain...that mouse-gray parliament of cells, that dream factory, that petit tyrant inside a ball of bone, that huddle of neurons calling...2004-06-11Scribner
Genre: Nonfiction, Science and Technology; Author: Diane Ackerman; Publisher: Scribner
Posted June 11 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Vikings' shocker: Creator Michael Hirst talks the death of [spoiler]
- 'Vikings' kills again: A talk with the departing actor
- Casting Net: Viola Davis, Catalina Sandino Moreno star in 'Custody'
- President Obama talks 'Wire' with David Simon
- Warner Bros wins bid for rights to viral 'Sundays' short
- Oscar producers Meron, Zadan won't return
- Craig T. Nelson back as Hayden Fox in NBC 'Coach' revival
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- T.I. & Kevin, Jon Hamm, Olivia & Jason and More!