We saved up all our Checker Trading Stamps, and, unable to decide between a sewing machine and a rowboat, we got ourselves a brand-new color TV set! (Groovy!) But what do we have to play on it? Not DVDs of ”The Brady Bunch,” it turns out. A Paramount spokesman says a release ”is under consideration for next year,” but we’re not sure we can wait. Especially now that we’re tantalized by the sly behind-the-scenes TV movie ”Growing Up Brady” (PG-13, 88 mins., 2000, Paramount). Sure enough, we feel a certain unspeakable bliss watching Adam Brody and Kaley Cuoco (pre-”The O.C.” and ”8 Simple Rules…”) reenact the blossoming of Barry Williams and Maureen McCormick’s pseudo-incestuous love affair when Greg and Marcia fight over the attic bedroom. And we weep as Robert Reed (Daniel Hugh Kelly) struggles with the show’s fabulously anti-Shakespearean scripts. But, really, like all those Kitty Karry-All dolls, this just isn’t as good as the original. Come on, Paramount! As the song goes, ”when it’s time to change, you’ve got to rearrange” – and put out on DVD the most beloved dopey sitcom ever. Only then will it truly be a sunshine day.
Posted June 11 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Joan Rivers remembered during special episode of 'Fashion Police'
- Jimmy Kimmel unveils new 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- Jason Sudeikis plays Drinko with Jimmy Fallon on 'The Tonight Show'
- How the novel 'Star Wars: Aftermath' sets up 'The Force Awakens'
- The lawsuit over 'Mr. Holmes' has been settled, attorney says
- Kristen Bell’s gift to Dax Shepard makes us all miss 'Parenthood'
- Casting Net: Jason Momoa to star in lumberjack thriller Braven
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Tom Hardy, Alessandra Ambrósio, Bindi Irwin & More!