We saved up all our Checker Trading Stamps, and, unable to decide between a sewing machine and a rowboat, we got ourselves a brand-new color TV set! (Groovy!) But what do we have to play on it? Not DVDs of ”The Brady Bunch,” it turns out. A Paramount spokesman says a release ”is under consideration for next year,” but we’re not sure we can wait. Especially now that we’re tantalized by the sly behind-the-scenes TV movie ”Growing Up Brady” (PG-13, 88 mins., 2000, Paramount). Sure enough, we feel a certain unspeakable bliss watching Adam Brody and Kaley Cuoco (pre-”The O.C.” and ”8 Simple Rules…”) reenact the blossoming of Barry Williams and Maureen McCormick’s pseudo-incestuous love affair when Greg and Marcia fight over the attic bedroom. And we weep as Robert Reed (Daniel Hugh Kelly) struggles with the show’s fabulously anti-Shakespearean scripts. But, really, like all those Kitty Karry-All dolls, this just isn’t as good as the original. Come on, Paramount! As the song goes, ”when it’s time to change, you’ve got to rearrange” – and put out on DVD the most beloved dopey sitcom ever. Only then will it truly be a sunshine day.
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- 'Walking Dead' showrunner Scott M. Gimple teases NEXT season
- 'Walking Dead' season finale: Our quick take on 'Conquer'--and yours?
- Justin Timberlake accepts iHeart Radio Innovator Award, recalls when 'they called me weird'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead': First promo's here
- 'Once Upon a Time': Inside ID of Maleficent's child
- iHeart Radio Music Awards winners are...
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!