Call it Sundance for the average Joe. Says Had to Be Made cofounder Richard Green: ”Our goal is to establish a network of independent retailers.” Two six-month festivals have been held at some 100 video stores – among them Kim’s in New York, New Concept in Miami, Video Journeys in L.A., and Pauwela in Haiku, Hawaii – featuring 10 DVDs that each include a never-released film, two shorts, a director interview, and a celebrity introduction from the likes of Jon Cryer and Andy Dick. ”We’ve had talks with Naomi Watts,” says cofounder Mike Kyle, ”and we’d love to get Parker Posey, the indie queen!” ”American Idol”-style, renters go to hadtobemade.com to vote for their favorite films (polls are still open for the current competition). About 7,800 voters logged on for the first festival; the winner of the Audience Award was Matt A. Cade’s comedy, ”Graduation Day,” whose producers are now negotiating with distributors. Starting with the next festival, in January, Had to Be Made will also offer a limited-run theatrical release, a wide DVD release – and, hopefully, inclusion in a cable series and expansion into more than 5,000 retail outlets. ”About 27,000 films are made every year in this country,” says Green. ”The indie-film movement is a giant wave, and we’re riding it.”
Posted June 11 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Paula Deen fires social media manager responsible for offensive tweet
- 'The Lego Movie' directors will pilot a Han Solo stand-alone movie
- Amy Schumer, Aziz Ansari to headline Oddball Comedy Fest
- Sonia Manzano remembers 44 years as Maria on Sesame Street
- Albert Hammond, Jr. says the Strokes don't have new music in the works
- Kaitlyn's Bachelorette blog: Ben would be a 'great husband'
- What's up next for OITNB's Ruby Rose?
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Khloé Kardashian, Paul Rudd, Taylor Swift & More!