Yeah, the sight of a corporately funded, man-turned-cyborg cop cleaning up a futuristic urban wasteland still rocks. But what makes Robocop more than just a brutally effective sci-fi action flick is its humor and its humanity. At heart, it’s a satire of ’80s excess, epitomized by the mock news reports and TV commercials that lampoon the values of the Reagan era. But the movie’s soul is its mechanized avenger, haunted by memories of a family he can never return to. In the not-bad Robocop 2, he continues his existential struggle, while waging a war on drugs. In Robocop 3, our hero, now played by Burke, joins the rebel underground, learns to fly – and jumps the shark. EXTRAS Three making-of docs provide lots of fascinating anecdotal info. So does audio commentary by, among others, director Paul Verhoeven – who is often quite funny, especially when he calls Robocop a modern ”American Jesus.”
RoboCop Trilogy Yeah, the sight of a corporately funded, man-turned-cyborg cop cleaning up a futuristic urban wasteland still rocks. But what makes Robocop...RoboCop Trilogy Yeah, the sight of a corporately funded, man-turned-cyborg cop cleaning up a futuristic urban wasteland still rocks. But what makes Robocop...2004-06-11
Posted June 11 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Aretha Franklin blocks Telluride screening of 'Amazing Grace'
- Hear Charlie Puth cover Drake's 'Hotline Bling' with Kehlani
- Check out the thrilling 'Arrow' season 4 trailer
- Mr. Bean's 25th anniversary marked outside Buckingham Palace
- Joan Rivers remembered by daughter Melissa in touching tribute
- 'Big Brother': James explains why he trashed the house during the veto competition
- Michelle Obama wished Beyoncé a happy birthday on Twitter
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!