In 1996, the Russian director Alexander Sokurov made Mother and Son, a painterly, nearly wordless swoon of a movie in which a man ushered his mother into death. It had a trancelike tedium that was just austere enough to win the praise of Susan Sontag, yet its images have never left me. ”Father and Son,” Sokurov’s new companion piece, has the tedium without the trance. The father (Andrey Schetinin), a former soldier, is still in mourning over his wife’s death. His son (Aleksey Neymyshev) craves something…but what? ”A father’s love crucifies,” observes the younger man, but there is scarcely the energy in the film to mount a crucifixion, emotional or otherwise.
Father and SonIn 1996, the Russian director Alexander Sokurov made Mother and Son, a painterly, nearly wordless swoon of a movie in which a man ushered his...Father and SonDramaPT84MUnratedIn 1996, the Russian director Alexander Sokurov made Mother and Son, a painterly, nearly wordless swoon of a movie in which a man ushered his...2004-06-16Wellspring
Genre: Drama; Starring: Aleksey Neymyshev, Andrey Schetinin; Director: Alexander Sokurov; Runtime (in minutes): 84; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Wellspring
Posted June 16 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Bubba Watson says he's removing Confederate flag from his 'Dukes of Hazzard' car
- How Taylor Swift, Jimmy Fallon, and other stars are celebrating July 4
- 'Crimson Peak' exclusive: Mia Wasikowska flees the darkness in Guillermo del Toro's Gothic chiller
- Beach reads: 15 heart-stopping thrillers to dive into this summer
- Zack Snyder defends ‘Man of Steel’ ending: You can’t have superheroes knock around with no consequences
- 50 Songs for 50 States: EW's favorite patriotic pop through the years
- 'Big Brother': Julie Chen answers our burning Q's about Jace, Audrey, and a twist
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Eddie Redmayne, Eva Longoria, Flo Rida & More!