Italian writer Remmert’s second novel chronicles the fascinating exploits of Milo and Vittorio, truffatori (con men) who drink beer, dispense dime-store dogma, and eke out a few thousand lire by pushing aspirin disguised as Ecstasy. ”Come on, gentle readers,” Vittorio reasons, ”the world is an open pit of minor deceits, swindles, fiddles, scams and aggravated frauds.” Naturally, the two tire of small-time trickery and enlist Uncle Grissino to craft the ”Big C” – which involves peddling magic powder to horoscope-hungry fools and creating a fake courier service called Bulls on Wheels. The author has a knack for the wonderfully bizarre: naming a character Uncle Breadstick, turning one scene into a videogame, tracing a day from the POV of Vittorio’s rear end. Remmert’s ingenuity so thoroughly takes us in, the truffatori would be proud.
The Ballad of the Low Lifes Italian writer Remmert's second novel chronicles the fascinating exploits of Milo and Vittorio, truffatori (con men) who drink beer, dispense dime...The Ballad of the Low LifesFictionEnrico Remmert Italian writer Remmert's second novel chronicles the fascinating exploits of Milo and Vittorio, truffatori (con men) who drink beer, dispense dime...2004-06-18
Genre: Fiction; Author: Enrico Remmert
Posted June 18 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Teen Wolf' season 4 DVD: See the limited edition art for Comic-Con
- Donald Trump doubles down on Mexico comments: 'It’s totally accurate'
- Kendrick Lamar's 'Alright' video, and everything isn't really all right
- Kings of Leon confirms 7th studio album is on the way
- 'Agent Carter' exclusive: Who's returning for season 2?
- Who should replace Donald Trump as host of 'The Apprentice'?
- Donald Trump is suing Univision
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files' returns: David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson in new EW portraits
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Ricky Martin, Tina & Jane, Paul Rudd and More!