In the decade leading up to Sept. 11, 2001, Romanian emigre Farro Fescu stands sentry in the hushed marble lobby of Manhattan’s Echo Terrace apartment building, tending to his diverse flock: the entomologist’s widow who fills her rooms with exotic animals, the Belgian-Egyptian plastic surgeon who’s nearly shot by an angry gender-reassignment patient, the beautiful 19-year-old cleaner who decides to keep the baby fathered by her rapist, and the Iraqi spice merchant who befriends the world-famous quilter downstairs. Rinaldi (”The Jukebox Queen of Malta”) is a master of elegant prose and psychological insight. Though his narration sounds deceptively prim at first, Rivers gradually hypnotizes and charms, coaxing beauty from the tragic and surreal.
Between Two Rivers In the decade leading up to Sept. 11, 2001, Romanian emigre Farro Fescu stands sentry in the hushed marble lobby of Manhattan's Echo Terrace apartment...Between Two RiversFiction In the decade leading up to Sept. 11, 2001, Romanian emigre Farro Fescu stands sentry in the hushed marble lobby of Manhattan's Echo Terrace apartment...2004-06-18
Posted June 18 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Chicago Med' has two new showrunners
- Fox changes name of its new series 'The Frankenstein Code'
- Chaka Khan set for 'Dancing With the Stars'
- Why Wayne Brady freaked out at the chance to play drag queen Lola in 'Kinky Boots'
- 'American Dad!' renewed for two seasons
- Nicki Minaj will open the MTV VMAs on Sunday
- Miley Cyrus addresses Nicki Minaj's VMAs comments in new interview
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Miley Cyrus, Taylor & Selena, The Voice Crew & More!