It’s 1979. Jimmy Carter is President and some 70 Americans have been taken hostage in Iran. In a Chicago Jewish neighborhood, Ayatollah-defending Jill Wasserstrom is dreading the bat mitzvah her recently widowed father is forcing on her. She gets no sympathy from her stoner sister, Michelle, an aspiring actress who, as a prank, impersonates a made-up relative of Muley Wills, a gentle teen filmmaker with a crush on Jill who, by the way, can’t stand her kleptomaniacal anorexic neighbor Lana Rovner and Lana’s horny brother Larry, a yeshiva senior who, when not masturbating to pay-TV, dreams of making it with his Jerusarock band Rovner! And that’s just the beginning, as residents on both sides of social-strata-dividing California Avenue brilliantly loop and intersect. In his ambitious, irresistible debut, Langer packs in more hilarious and agonizing moments than most writers manage in a lifetime.
Crossing CaliforniaIt's 1979. Jimmy Carter is President and some 70 Americans have been taken hostage in Iran. In a Chicago Jewish neighborhood, Ayatollah-defending Jill...Crossing CaliforniaFictionAdam LangerIt's 1979. Jimmy Carter is President and some 70 Americans have been taken hostage in Iran. In a Chicago Jewish neighborhood, Ayatollah-defending Jill...2004-06-18Riverhead
Genre: Fiction; Author: Adam Langer; Publisher: Riverhead
Posted June 18 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Stan Lee attends 'Ant-Man' premiere
- Casting Net: Radcliffe and Dano lead 'Swiss Army Man' cast
- AC/DC near streaming deals?
- Jack Carter, comedian-actor, dies at 93
- NeNe Leakes exiting 'Real Housewives'
- 'Star Trek' title confirmed: Justin Lin shares first photo from 'Beyond'
- 'Ghostbusters' uniform: Paul Feig tweets first look
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files' returns: New EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Rita Ora, Matthew, Darren & Jennifer, Brandy & More!