Adrian Monk (Shalhoub), that everything-phobic, obsessive-compulsive former detective who keeps getting called in to save the day, has been critically overpraised as ”TV’s most original sleuth ever.” But for all his quirks and tics, Monk is essentially a latter-day Columbo, nailing a series of smugly superior murderers for their seemingly unsolvable crimes in Monk: Season One. What is original – and splendid – is Shalhoub’s performance as the deeply challenged hero, haunted by his wife’s death in a car bombing meant for him, recoiling from sewer rats, Ferris wheels, handshakes, and nose-picking children as he doggedly channels his manic powers of observation into brilliant deductive reasoning. He’s sweetly comical, and surprisingly poignant. EXTRAS A skimpy menu offers five making-of featurettes that should have been cut together as one so-so doc. But there are occasional revelations, like the news that the Monk character was originally developed with Michael (Kramer) Richards in mind.
Monk: Season One Adrian Monk (Shalhoub), that everything-phobic, obsessive-compulsive former detective who keeps getting called in to save the day, has been critically...Monk: Season OneUnrated Adrian Monk (Shalhoub), that everything-phobic, obsessive-compulsive former detective who keeps getting called in to save the day, has been critically...2004-06-18
Starring: Bitty Schram, Tony Shalhoub; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted June 18 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Now's your chance to see 'Mad Max: Fury Road' in IMAX theaters
- Obama to honor Stephen King, Sally Field with National Medals of Arts
- Queen Elizabeth is a huge fan of 'Downton Abbey'
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- New 'Batman v Superman' pics show Wonder Woman, the Batmobile
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!