Little things mean a lot in writer-director Tom McCarthy’s delightful relationship drama about disparate people who connect through an abandoned New Jersey train depot. The Station Agent centers on dry-humored train enthusiast and dwarf Fin (Peter Dinklage), hunky Latino hot dog vendor Joe (Bobby Cannavale), and scatterbrained artist Olivia (Patricia Clarkson), but the entire SAG award-nominated cast enlivens McCarthy’s nuanced script with their actions as much as their words. One scene calls for budding pals Fin, Joe, and Olivia to share beef jerky during a summer walk. Another finds Joe trying in vain to share solitary Fin’s footrest. They’re a curious, embraceable bunch whose chemistry feels contagious… EXTRAS …as the commentary track makes radiantly clear. The director and cast chat enthusiastically about Clarkson’s naturally rosy lips, Cannavale’s improvised dialogue, and Dinklage’s intrepid train chasing, from a lawn chair strapped inside Joe’s hot dog truck.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Bobby Cannavale, Patricia Clarkson, Peter Dinklage, Raven Goodwin, Michelle Williams; Director: Thomas McCarthy; Author: Thomas McCarthy; Release Date Limited: 10/03/2003; Release Date Wide: 10/17/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 88; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Miramax
Posted June 18 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See the ultimate Marvel selfie from Comic-Con
- Comic-Con: 'Workaholics' stars DJ'd set at EW's Con-X
- 'Pokémon Go': Dwayne Johnson becomes new 'rock' type, Pokérock
- Michael Fassbender loves James McAvoy 'hard'
- 'Moana': Nicole Scherzinger, Alan Tudyk join voice cast
- Michelle Dockery leading up Steven Soderbergh's Netflix miniseries
- See all the movie trailers that debuted at Comic-Con
- 'Friends': See the Cast's Evolution Over 10 Years
- This Is What the First Lollapalooza Looked Like
- Comic-Con 2016: See Scenes From Marvel's Showcase
- Comic-Con 2016: See Portraits of Marvel Studios Stars
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 3 Panels
- Comic-Con 2016: Get Batty With the Cast of 'The Walking Dead'