Our favorite robots in disguise celebrate their 20th anniversary in style with an energetic title that belies the mileage on their odometers. Officially, the task at hand (or wheel?) is to control one of three Autobus, including leader Optimus Prime, and to scour the planet for a race of long-lost Transformers called Mini-Cons before Megatron and his Decepticons find them. The backstory, naturally, is an unabashed smoke screen for making nuts and bolts of the bad guys with some fearsome firepower, which becomes even more potent after using a few Mini-Cons to upgrade your arsenal. To its credit, this shooter never loses sight that it’s a Transformers game: Some areas are inaccessible unless you morph your ‘bot into a vehicle. Best of all, scattered throughout are bonus items that offer nostalgic winks to the franchise, including the theme song of the ’80s TV show. After two decades, there’s no rust on these Transformers.
Posted June 18 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Read your way through New Orleans
- The 50 Most Watched Broadcast Shows of 2014-15
- Extreme Fan Club with Chris Pratt -- exclusive video
- EW's definitive ranking of the top 10 'Pac-Man' ghosts
- Funeral for slain New York rapper will be held next week
- What to binge-watch: Memorial Day marathon edition
- Pac-Man turns 35: Looking back on three-plus decades of video games, pop culture, and cereal
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Melissa McCarthy: Did you know she was in...?
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!