Gary Oldman is the go-to guy for screen villains, and now, it looks like Lucasfilm may have gone to him to cast the role of a much-anticipated villain in ”Star Wars: Episode III.” Oldman’s manager, Douglas Urbanski, confirmed to EW.com that Oldman is in talks to voice the role of General Grievous, leader of the Separatist clone armies who are fighting the Jedi-led troops of the galactic Republic in the upcoming movie. (Like Darth Vader, Grievous is a part-mechanical character who wears a prosthetic mask, making it possible for George Lucas to have already shot his scenes and to add the voice later.) Lucasfilm spokesperson Lynne Hale declined to comment on the possible casting, telling EW.com it was only a rumor ”at this point.” But Urbanski said that Oldman would play the role ”if he can find the time,” noting that the actor still has to finish filming ”Batman Begins” (in which he plays Jim Gordon, Batman’s friend on the Gotham City police force). Plus, he’s due to film ”The Longest Yard” opposite Adam Sandler later this year, which will see him playing a prison warden. Meanwhile, Lucas is in post-production on ”Episode III,” which is scheduled for release next May.
(Gary Oldman: Joe Cavaretta/AP)
Posted June 24 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Focus' aims to lift box office crown from 'Fifty Shades of Grey'
- Bruce Willis indie-thriller 'Wake' halts production due to lack of funding
- Skrillex hints a midnight Jack U album release
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' creator on season 1 success, season 2 ideas
- Catwoman comes out as bisexual in comic
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' creator on that killer finale and what's next
- Denis Villeneuve in talks to direct 'Blade Runner' sequel: Report
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!