MUSTWORTHINESS Roberts’ self-titled debut answers the question ”What if Faith Hill made a country album again?” Except you need to imagine a much bluesier Hill; Roberts’ weathered-sounding soulfulness is at odds with her innocent demeanor. ”When I sing, I’m not Julie,” says the small-town South Carolinian. ”I become somebody else for those three minutes, and most of the time it’s my mom. A lot of the stories in these songs, she’s lived.”
OFFICE UP THE TRUTH Roberts worked for Mercury Nashville for three years, including a stint as the assistant to CEO Luke Lewis – but never told him she was a singer. (”I didn’t want to get fired!”) When producer Brent Rowan played her demos for her boss, Lewis took a shine to the anonymous singer, only to find she was right outside his door.
NEXT A CMT special airs this month.
Posted June 25 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Chicago Med' has two new showrunners
- Fox changes name of its new series 'The Frankenstein Code'
- Chaka Khan set for 'Dancing With the Stars'
- Why Wayne Brady freaked out at the chance to play drag queen Lola in 'Kinky Boots'
- 'American Dad!' renewed for two seasons
- Nicki Minaj will open the MTV VMAs on Sunday
- Miley Cyrus addresses Nicki Minaj's VMAs comments in new interview
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Miley Cyrus, Taylor & Selena, The Voice Crew & More!