Is there a more seductive and ghostly phrase than ”circus in winter”? Cathy Day, who grew up in Peru, Ind. – once the off-season home of many American circus companies – sets The Circus in Winter, her elegantly juggled debut collection of interconnected stories, in the fictional heartland town of Lima, Ind. And from stories she spins about the tatty magic of elephants and dwarfs, roustabouts and clowns, dreamers and hustlers living together as devoted and combustible as kin, she conjures a bigger picture of family – and of America. Under Day’s bright tent of story-telling, the proprietor who gets the Great Porter Circus & Menagerie rolling in the dusk of the 19th century is a somersault away from the great-granddaughter of an elephant handler who makes a trip to her ancestral home at the dawn of the 21st.
The Circus in Winter Is there a more seductive and ghostly phrase than ''circus in winter''? Cathy Day, who grew up in Peru, Ind. -- once the off-season home of many...The Circus in WinterFiction, Short StoriesCathy Day Is there a more seductive and ghostly phrase than ''circus in winter''? Cathy Day, who grew up in Peru, Ind. -- once the off-season home of many...2004-06-25Harcourt
Genre: Fiction, Short Stories; Author: Cathy Day; Publisher: Harcourt
Posted June 25 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- First Listen: Ellen Pompeo on Meredith's shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' attack
- Al Pacino and Melanie Griffith join Where the White Man Runs Away
- Lamar Odom makes first public appearance since hospitalization
- Luke's daughter, April, and Mrs. Kim are back for 'Gilmore Girls'
- Kevin Bacon has a creepy kid in the trailer for horror movie 'The Darkness'
- Russell Simmons, Tony Rock to present All Def Movie Awards
- Everything you missed from Kanye West's 'TLOP' premiere
- Check out the new Maz Kanata 'Star Wars' action figure
- Burt Reynolds Through the Years
- 'The Walking Dead’: Exclusive EW Portraits
- Exclusive Look at 'The Walking Dead' Midseason Return
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996