Is there a more seductive and ghostly phrase than ”circus in winter”? Cathy Day, who grew up in Peru, Ind. – once the off-season home of many American circus companies – sets The Circus in Winter, her elegantly juggled debut collection of interconnected stories, in the fictional heartland town of Lima, Ind. And from stories she spins about the tatty magic of elephants and dwarfs, roustabouts and clowns, dreamers and hustlers living together as devoted and combustible as kin, she conjures a bigger picture of family – and of America. Under Day’s bright tent of story-telling, the proprietor who gets the Great Porter Circus & Menagerie rolling in the dusk of the 19th century is a somersault away from the great-granddaughter of an elephant handler who makes a trip to her ancestral home at the dawn of the 21st.
The Circus in Winter Is there a more seductive and ghostly phrase than ''circus in winter''? Cathy Day, who grew up in Peru, Ind. -- once the off-season home of many...The Circus in WinterFiction, Short StoriesCathy Day Is there a more seductive and ghostly phrase than ''circus in winter''? Cathy Day, who grew up in Peru, Ind. -- once the off-season home of many...2004-06-25Harcourt
Genre: Fiction, Short Stories; Author: Cathy Day; Publisher: Harcourt
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- 'Outlander' postmortem: EP Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on sexy, surreal season premiere
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany on season premiere choking and spanking
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!