Is there a more seductive and ghostly phrase than ”circus in winter”? Cathy Day, who grew up in Peru, Ind. – once the off-season home of many American circus companies – sets The Circus in Winter, her elegantly juggled debut collection of interconnected stories, in the fictional heartland town of Lima, Ind. And from stories she spins about the tatty magic of elephants and dwarfs, roustabouts and clowns, dreamers and hustlers living together as devoted and combustible as kin, she conjures a bigger picture of family – and of America. Under Day’s bright tent of story-telling, the proprietor who gets the Great Porter Circus & Menagerie rolling in the dusk of the 19th century is a somersault away from the great-granddaughter of an elephant handler who makes a trip to her ancestral home at the dawn of the 21st.
The Circus in Winter Is there a more seductive and ghostly phrase than ''circus in winter''? Cathy Day, who grew up in Peru, Ind. -- once the off-season home of many...The Circus in WinterFiction, Short StoriesCathy Day Is there a more seductive and ghostly phrase than ''circus in winter''? Cathy Day, who grew up in Peru, Ind. -- once the off-season home of many...2004-06-25Harcourt
Genre: Fiction, Short Stories; Author: Cathy Day; Publisher: Harcourt
Posted June 25 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Alicia Keys on no makeup press photo: 'It's the strongest I ever felt'
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': First look at Harry, Ginny, Albus
- 'Scream' bosses on tragic first death and what's next
- '12 Monkeys' boss on that heartbreaking double loss
- Uhura, Sulu, Scotty prepare for war in new 'Star Trek Beyond' posters
- T.J. Miller's filibustering cracks Ellen DeGeneres up
- Bono joins Bruce Springsteen in Dublin for 'Because the Night'
- The Best Summer Vacations in Movies
- See Exclusive Behind-the-Scenes Photos From Disney Channel Original Movies
- Getting 'Close' With Nick Jonas: See EW's Exclusive Cover Shoot
- Carpool Karaoke: James Corden's Most-Watched Videos
- The Most Famous Swimsuit Scenes From TV and Movies
- See All of Entertainment Weekly's X-Men Covers