WHY HER? Madonna’s Re-Invention Tour may be getting so-so reviews, but not Phillips’ costumes. The Uberstylist persuaded designers like Stella McCartney, Christian Lacroix, and Karl Lagerfeld to participate in creating Madonna’s wardrobe – while managing to keep her own arty, provocative stamp on the show. Beyond Madge duties, Phillips designs costumes for movies (”Hedwig and the Angry Inch”) and styles shoots for the edgiest Vogue (Italian). ”I’m not a stylist that does personal dressing,” explains Phillips. ”I’ve dressed people for the Oscars or premieres but only as a function of a preexisting relationship.”
INSPIRATION ”Bob Fosse’s ‘All That Jazz’ is a huge inspiration. Also a movie from 1959 called ‘Black Orpheus.’ And I’m going to sound terribly arty here, but a costume designer named Piero Tosi, who did films for Pasolini and Fellini.”
FAVE DESIGNERS ”It changes from season to season, but the people who always keep me interested are Rick Owens, Alexander McQueen, Prada, and Costume National.”
WORST JOB ”Early on I did commercials because they paid well. [Styling] household products was a real career low.”
NEXT Outfitting Reese Witherspoon and Joaquin Phoenix in the Johnny Cash biopic ”Walk the Line.”
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- 'Star Wars: Rogue One' will depict raid to steal original Death Star plans
- 'Furious 7' holds off 'Paul Blart' to win box office for third weekend in a row
- Victoria Justice breaks news to fans on Twitter: 'Eye Candy' canceled by MTV
- Jon Stewart explains why he quit 'The Daily Show'
- Jason Sudeikis on present (two Tribeca films), past ('SNL'), and future ('Fletch'?)
- 'Outlander' boss on Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Kellie Pickler, Julia Roberts, Taylor Swift & More!