WHY HER? Madonna’s Re-Invention Tour may be getting so-so reviews, but not Phillips’ costumes. The Uberstylist persuaded designers like Stella McCartney, Christian Lacroix, and Karl Lagerfeld to participate in creating Madonna’s wardrobe – while managing to keep her own arty, provocative stamp on the show. Beyond Madge duties, Phillips designs costumes for movies (”Hedwig and the Angry Inch”) and styles shoots for the edgiest Vogue (Italian). ”I’m not a stylist that does personal dressing,” explains Phillips. ”I’ve dressed people for the Oscars or premieres but only as a function of a preexisting relationship.”
INSPIRATION ”Bob Fosse’s ‘All That Jazz’ is a huge inspiration. Also a movie from 1959 called ‘Black Orpheus.’ And I’m going to sound terribly arty here, but a costume designer named Piero Tosi, who did films for Pasolini and Fellini.”
FAVE DESIGNERS ”It changes from season to season, but the people who always keep me interested are Rick Owens, Alexander McQueen, Prada, and Costume National.”
WORST JOB ”Early on I did commercials because they paid well. [Styling] household products was a real career low.”
NEXT Outfitting Reese Witherspoon and Joaquin Phoenix in the Johnny Cash biopic ”Walk the Line.”
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Sienna Miller, Kate & Kate and More!