WHY HER? Madonna’s Re-Invention Tour may be getting so-so reviews, but not Phillips’ costumes. The Uberstylist persuaded designers like Stella McCartney, Christian Lacroix, and Karl Lagerfeld to participate in creating Madonna’s wardrobe – while managing to keep her own arty, provocative stamp on the show. Beyond Madge duties, Phillips designs costumes for movies (”Hedwig and the Angry Inch”) and styles shoots for the edgiest Vogue (Italian). ”I’m not a stylist that does personal dressing,” explains Phillips. ”I’ve dressed people for the Oscars or premieres but only as a function of a preexisting relationship.”
INSPIRATION ”Bob Fosse’s ‘All That Jazz’ is a huge inspiration. Also a movie from 1959 called ‘Black Orpheus.’ And I’m going to sound terribly arty here, but a costume designer named Piero Tosi, who did films for Pasolini and Fellini.”
FAVE DESIGNERS ”It changes from season to season, but the people who always keep me interested are Rick Owens, Alexander McQueen, Prada, and Costume National.”
WORST JOB ”Early on I did commercials because they paid well. [Styling] household products was a real career low.”
NEXT Outfitting Reese Witherspoon and Joaquin Phoenix in the Johnny Cash biopic ”Walk the Line.”
Posted June 25 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- A$AP Rocky's 'At.Long.Last.A$AP' to drop at midnight
- Even Taylor Swift's mom thought it was 'Starbucks lovers'
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!