MUSTWORTHINESS With the blessing of his ex-partners in parody, Idle has concocted ”Monty Python’s Spamalot” – a musical based on their rip-roaringly ribald ”Holy Grail” – directed by Mike Nichols.
INSPIRED BY MEL BROOKS, WERE YOU? ”I went to him 15 years ago and begged for the rights [to ”The Producers”], but the smart bastard said no.”
TRICKY BUSINESS “[”Spamalot”] must be something that can stand alone. Fans will come, but it must also appeal to people who haven’t seen [”Grail”].”
WILL SWORDS BE DRAWN OVER ”CASTLE ANTHRAX”? “Terrorists may not destroy our sense of humor. We must laugh at them until they go away.”
AND THE FRENCH? ”Oh, the French are flatulent. ‘I fart in your general direction!’ I know the impact of the ‘Grail.”
NEXT ”Spamalot” hits Chicago Dec. 21 and Broadway in March ‘05.
Posted June 25 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See 4 never-before-seen images from the illustrated 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'
- 21 things we learned from Lifetime's 'Unauthorized 90210 Story'
- Michael Fassbender 'studied Ashton Kutcher' (not really) for 'Steve Jobs'
- Why Victoria Justice got starstruck at Fashion Week
- Broadway's Cinderella and Prince Hans actor from 'Frozen' tie the knot
- Miley Cyrus hosts 'SNL': EW live blog
- Miley Cyrus hosts 'SNL': Play People's unofficial drinking game