MUSTWORTHINESS With the blessing of his ex-partners in parody, Idle has concocted ”Monty Python’s Spamalot” – a musical based on their rip-roaringly ribald ”Holy Grail” – directed by Mike Nichols.
INSPIRED BY MEL BROOKS, WERE YOU? ”I went to him 15 years ago and begged for the rights [to ”The Producers”], but the smart bastard said no.”
TRICKY BUSINESS “[”Spamalot”] must be something that can stand alone. Fans will come, but it must also appeal to people who haven’t seen [”Grail”].”
WILL SWORDS BE DRAWN OVER ”CASTLE ANTHRAX”? “Terrorists may not destroy our sense of humor. We must laugh at them until they go away.”
AND THE FRENCH? ”Oh, the French are flatulent. ‘I fart in your general direction!’ I know the impact of the ‘Grail.”
NEXT ”Spamalot” hits Chicago Dec. 21 and Broadway in March ‘05.
Posted June 25 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Modest Mouse share 'Of Course We Know,' announce tour dates
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt