MUSTWORTHINESS With the blessing of his ex-partners in parody, Idle has concocted ”Monty Python’s Spamalot” – a musical based on their rip-roaringly ribald ”Holy Grail” – directed by Mike Nichols.
INSPIRED BY MEL BROOKS, WERE YOU? ”I went to him 15 years ago and begged for the rights [to ”The Producers”], but the smart bastard said no.”
TRICKY BUSINESS “[”Spamalot”] must be something that can stand alone. Fans will come, but it must also appeal to people who haven’t seen [”Grail”].”
WILL SWORDS BE DRAWN OVER ”CASTLE ANTHRAX”? “Terrorists may not destroy our sense of humor. We must laugh at them until they go away.”
AND THE FRENCH? ”Oh, the French are flatulent. ‘I fart in your general direction!’ I know the impact of the ‘Grail.”
NEXT ”Spamalot” hits Chicago Dec. 21 and Broadway in March ‘05.
Posted June 25 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Happy Valentine's Day! Read highlights from Aziz Ansari's 'Modern Romance'
- 'The Walking Dead' showrunner previews introduction of the Hilltop
- Kanye West's 'The Life of Pablo' has finally arrived
- Jonah Hill to host 'Saturday Night Live'
- Interracial marriage drama 'Loving' acquired by Focus Features
- Lady Gaga is getting her own 'Monster High' doll
- Melissa McCarthy hosts 'SNL': Talk about it here