MUSTWORTHINESS With the blessing of his ex-partners in parody, Idle has concocted ”Monty Python’s Spamalot” – a musical based on their rip-roaringly ribald ”Holy Grail” – directed by Mike Nichols.
INSPIRED BY MEL BROOKS, WERE YOU? ”I went to him 15 years ago and begged for the rights [to ”The Producers”], but the smart bastard said no.”
TRICKY BUSINESS “[”Spamalot”] must be something that can stand alone. Fans will come, but it must also appeal to people who haven’t seen [”Grail”].”
WILL SWORDS BE DRAWN OVER ”CASTLE ANTHRAX”? “Terrorists may not destroy our sense of humor. We must laugh at them until they go away.”
AND THE FRENCH? ”Oh, the French are flatulent. ‘I fart in your general direction!’ I know the impact of the ‘Grail.”
NEXT ”Spamalot” hits Chicago Dec. 21 and Broadway in March ‘05.
Posted June 25 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'NCIS': Try not to get emotional watching this goodbye clip for Tony DiNozzo
- Laverne Cox will sit down with Megyn Kelly for Fox special
- The Rolling Stones request Donald Trump stop using their songs
- Seth MacFarlane to create and star in space-set dramedy series
- Viola Davis on Harriet Tubman movie: 'I feel like it's our time'
- Roland Emmerich on why 'Independence Day: Resurgence' took 20 years
- 'Grey's Anatomy' stars on Callie vs. Arizona custody battle