MUSTWORTHINESS With the blessing of his ex-partners in parody, Idle has concocted ”Monty Python’s Spamalot” – a musical based on their rip-roaringly ribald ”Holy Grail” – directed by Mike Nichols.
INSPIRED BY MEL BROOKS, WERE YOU? ”I went to him 15 years ago and begged for the rights [to ”The Producers”], but the smart bastard said no.”
TRICKY BUSINESS “[”Spamalot”] must be something that can stand alone. Fans will come, but it must also appeal to people who haven’t seen [”Grail”].”
WILL SWORDS BE DRAWN OVER ”CASTLE ANTHRAX”? “Terrorists may not destroy our sense of humor. We must laugh at them until they go away.”
AND THE FRENCH? ”Oh, the French are flatulent. ‘I fart in your general direction!’ I know the impact of the ‘Grail.”
NEXT ”Spamalot” hits Chicago Dec. 21 and Broadway in March ‘05.
Posted June 25 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Planned Parenthood applauds 'Jane the Virgin' for discussing abortion
- 'Inferno' director Ron Howard spills on the film's spooky sensibility
- 'Orphan Black' Facebook Live reveals 20 minutes of season 5 production
- Jeff VanderMeer's 'Borne': Read an exclusive excerpt
- Watch the official trailer for 'Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life'
- Why 'A Nightmare on Elm Street' is the perfect Halloween movie
- Laverne Cox punts to Nicki Minaj in 'Lip Sync Battle' clip