MUSTWORTHINESS For two gloriously nasty years (‘99 – 01), The WB aired the campiest, most vicious look at high school in TV history. (”Square Pegs” is ”Nightline” in comparison.) The first season of ”Nip/Tuck” creator Ryan Murphy’s outlandish series – set at Jacqueline Kennedy High School – claws its way to DVD on Sept. 21.
WHAT’S ON IT The set will include a gag reel, outtakes, cast commentary, and deleted scenes – including an extended version of Lily and Carmen’s same-sex kiss. ”It was wildly truncated,” sighs Murphy.
ON ITS CANCELLATION Two days after mapping out season 3, Murphy learned ”Popular” had been axed: ”The WB moved the show to Friday nights, but our audience was out at the gay bars.”
SO HOW WAS IT GONNA END ”They would have graduated and we would have shown a black screen that said, ‘Five Years Later.’ They were all going to be living in a ‘Melrose Place’-like development with Mary Cherry [a psycho cheerleader, played by ”What I Like About You”’s Leslie Grossman] as their slumlord.”
NEXT A season 2 disc is in the works, and Murphy says that if The WB wants a reunion, the entire cast is game.
Posted June 25 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American' in July 4 post
- Lil Wayne debuts his 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- Bubba Watson says he's removing Confederate flag from his 'Dukes of Hazzard' car
- Taylor Swift, Jimmy Fallon, more celebs spend July 4 on Instagram, Twitter
- 'Crimson Peak' exclusive: Mia Wasikowska flees the darkness in Guillermo del Toro's Gothic chiller
- Beach reads: 15 heart-stopping thrillers to dive into this summer
- Zack Snyder defends ‘Man of Steel’ ending: You can’t have superheroes knock around with no consequences
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!