NAME Rachel Dratch
MUSTWORTHINESS For giving us the funniest TV moment all year with the May 1 ”SNL” skit ”Debbie Downer,” about a frowny frump who ruins her family’s trip to Disney World with an impressive array of conversation-killing asides (i.e., ”Did you guys hear about that train explosion in northern Korea?”) – punctuated by wah-wah trumpet refrains. But what elevated Debbie from funny to you gotta see this classic was the inability of the cast (Jimmy Fallon, Amy Poehler, Horatio Sanz, Fred Armisen, and host Lindsay Lohan) to keep a straight face; it started as a tiny lip quiver from Dratch and devolved into a tear-spouting, shoulder-shaking riot.
SERIOUSLY, WHAT HAPPENED? ”I don’t really know,” admits Dratch, who cowrote the sketch with Paula Pell. ”I was freaking out in my head, like, Get it together! The worst was when I had to say, ‘It’s official – I can’t have children.’ I was like, Stick the landing! But I just couldn’t. I was looking at Jimmy like, ‘Help me!”’
DEBBIE DOWNER: THE MOVIE. DISCUSS. ”Of course I’d want to be in a movie,” jokes Dratch. ”I’ll start thinking about it.”
ON HER MUST LIST ”Bill Murray, because he made the crossover. He’s sort of an idol for all of us on ‘SNL.”’
NEXT Both Dratch and Ms. Downer return to ”SNL” next season. ”Hopefully I’ll be able to keep a straight face this time.” Wah-wah!
Posted June 25 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
NAME Rachel Dratch
- 1D's Liam Payne announces third single from 'Made in the A.M.'
- New 'Luther' trailer asks: 'You scared of me?'
- Drake: 'I'd do anything with Adele' — including a 'Hotline Bling' remix
- National Dog Show names Charlie the Skye terrier its Best in Show
- CBS will air two Super Bowl commercial specials before 'Super Bowl 50'
- Amy Schumer, Mindy Kaling, and more celebs give thanks on social media
- Highlights from the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade