NAME Rachel Dratch
MUSTWORTHINESS For giving us the funniest TV moment all year with the May 1 ”SNL” skit ”Debbie Downer,” about a frowny frump who ruins her family’s trip to Disney World with an impressive array of conversation-killing asides (i.e., ”Did you guys hear about that train explosion in northern Korea?”) – punctuated by wah-wah trumpet refrains. But what elevated Debbie from funny to you gotta see this classic was the inability of the cast (Jimmy Fallon, Amy Poehler, Horatio Sanz, Fred Armisen, and host Lindsay Lohan) to keep a straight face; it started as a tiny lip quiver from Dratch and devolved into a tear-spouting, shoulder-shaking riot.
SERIOUSLY, WHAT HAPPENED? ”I don’t really know,” admits Dratch, who cowrote the sketch with Paula Pell. ”I was freaking out in my head, like, Get it together! The worst was when I had to say, ‘It’s official – I can’t have children.’ I was like, Stick the landing! But I just couldn’t. I was looking at Jimmy like, ‘Help me!”’
DEBBIE DOWNER: THE MOVIE. DISCUSS. ”Of course I’d want to be in a movie,” jokes Dratch. ”I’ll start thinking about it.”
ON HER MUST LIST ”Bill Murray, because he made the crossover. He’s sort of an idol for all of us on ‘SNL.”’
NEXT Both Dratch and Ms. Downer return to ”SNL” next season. ”Hopefully I’ll be able to keep a straight face this time.” Wah-wah!
Posted June 25 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
NAME Rachel Dratch
- Hillary Clinton quotes 'Hamilton,' slams Trump in rousing DNC speech
- Twitter reacts to Morgan Freeman-narrated Hillary Clinton doc
- 'The Voice': Bette Midler serving as mentor for Team Blake
- Shonda Rhimes on Hillary Clinton DNC film: 'I didn't have to add a plot twist!'
- Katy Perry performs 'Rise,' 'Roar' at DNC for Hillary Clinton
- Chloë Grace Moretz urges millennials to vote Hillary at DNC
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: Donald Trump's proposed Muslim ban is 'tyranny'