MUSTWORTHINESS The Glaswegian quartet (Bob Hardy, Paul Thomson, Nick McCarthy, and Alex Kapranos) embodies that classic U.K. rock cliche – ex – art-school students. Yet the group manages to live up to the relentless hype of the breathless British press. We’ll add to the buzz: The band’s self-titled debut is a reminder that rock music is designed for both of your pleasure centers – the brain and the hips. Balancing disco-rific grooves and beery sing-along choruses, Franz’s Talking Heads-meets-Bowie sound landed them a deal on tastemaker indie label Domino, before a bidding war scored Franz a distribution deal at Epic.
ON THEIR MUST LIST ”This Glasgow group Sons and Daughters,” says Kapranos. ”They remind me of those old Lee Hazlewood – Nancy Sinatra duets. I’ve also been listening to a lot of rembetika, which was the music of Greek outlaws in the ’20s and ’30s – it’s like the original gangsta music.”
DEAD FOLKS ON THEIR MUST LIST BESIDES ARCHDUKE FRANZ FERDINAND ”Vlad the Impaler. He was the guy Dracula was based on. I don’t really like him – I just think he sounds like such a shocking, astonishing character.” So was that almost the name of the band? ”Oh no, then we’d have to play death metal or something.”
NEXT Touring, touring, and touring through the U.S. and Europe this summer. And, hopefully, a trip back into the studio before the end of the year.
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- 'Comedy Bang! Bang!' renewed for fifth season
- Karen O honors journalist Nellie Bly with an original song
- Sam Smith cancels Tokyo, Manila tour dates
- Watch Vance Joy cover Taylor Swift's 'I Know Places'
- 'Scandal' sneak peek: How far will Olivia go to take down Rowan?
- Lauryn Hill cancels Israel show
- 'iZombie' exclusive clip: Liv tries to get Clive to open up about his love life
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Gisele Bündchen, Patrick Dempsey, Rosamund Pike & More!