As the author of ”Pecked to Death by Ducks,” Cahill sure knows how to accentuate local color. Despite the relatively tame title, his latest batch of travel/nature essays is no different. The backyard in question is Yellowstone National Park, and Cahill takes us down a lot of less-beaten paths that embrace the enormity of North America’s ”Serengeti Plain.” With his typically offhand wit, he assesses the danger of indigenous bison, which ”may seem indolent, even lazy. But then they abruptly decide you need to be gored.” Almost as casually, he mentions that Yellowstone sits atop a boiling cauldron of volcanic activity that, by some calculations, could blow any day now and pretty much end the world. Scary as he makes the place seem, you’ll want to get there. Like, yesterday.
Lost In My Own Backyard: A Walk In Yellowstone National Park As the author of ''Pecked to Death by Ducks,'' Cahill sure knows how to accentuate local color. Despite the relatively tame title, his latest batch of...Lost In My Own Backyard: A Walk In Yellowstone National ParkNonfictionTim Cahill As the author of ''Pecked to Death by Ducks,'' Cahill sure knows how to accentuate local color. Despite the relatively tame title, his latest batch of...2004-06-25
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Tim Cahill
Posted June 25 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- David Cross returns to the stage in new stand-up special trailer
- Chance the Rapper plots Chicago music fest featuring Skrillex
- Anne Rice announces 'Prince Lestat and the Realms of Atlantis'
- 'American Crime Story' coming to Netflix in 2017
- Documentary about INXS singer Michael Hutchence is in the works
- 'Prison Break' clip shows the importance of a stick of gum
- Michael C. Hall to reprise Bowie's 'Lazarus' in London
- 'Friends': See the Cast's Evolution Over 10 Years
- This Is What the First Lollapalooza Looked Like
- Comic-Con 2016: See Scenes From Marvel's Showcase
- Comic-Con 2016: See Portraits of Marvel Studios Stars
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 3 Panels
- Comic-Con 2016: Get Batty With the Cast of 'The Walking Dead'