MUSTWORTHINESS A one-woman powerhouse in ”Golda’s Balcony,” she portrays Israeli prime minister Meir – and 38 other characters – during the 1973 Yom Kippur War. ”As long as I’m going to be a Jewish mother,” she says, ”why be a local Jew? Go global.” The role earned her the fourth Tony nomination of her 30-year career.
PLAY IT AGAIN, TOVAH ”I started as a classical pianist but I got too lonely. So I switched to plays.”
1972: A MIDSUMMER NIGHTMARE Feldshuh was a fairy in Shakespeare’s ”Dream” at Minneapolis’ Guthrie Theater. ”The director said, ‘Why bother being an actor? Why don’t you just become an accountant?’ My heart stopped.”
1973: A BROADWAY BOW In the musical ”Cyrano,” ”I had one scene alone with Christopher Plummer where he kissed my hand. To this day, when he sees me, he still kisses my hand.”
ON HER MUST LIST To star in a TV series in New York City, write a biopic of Washington Post editor Katharine Graham, and, of course, tackle great stage roles like ”Virginia Woolf, Cleopatra, even Saint Joan.”
AMEN, SISTER! ”I’m little, I’m fierce, and I’ve had no plastic surgery.”
NEXT More ”Golda’s Balcony.”
Posted June 25 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- R. Kelly says he wrote 462 songs for his new album, and they're all hits
- 'Vampire Diaries' cast recalls what it was like working with Nina Dobrev
- The best VMA moments, according to Facebook
- Dylan's Candy Bar is celebrating 'Mean Girls' with themed candy
- 11 outrageous moments from Miley Cyrus' surprise album
- 'Faking It' season 2B supertease: Karma and Amy pretend to be a couple again — exclusive
- Why Bill Murray agreed to appear in the next 'Ghostbusters'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!