MUSTWORTHINESS John Frankenheimer’s 1962 tale of brainwashing and assassination is the gold standard of political thrillers. Jonathan Demme’s remake of the Cold War paranoia classic has Denzel Washington stepping into Frank Sinatra’s uniform and Meryl Streep taking over the role of the power-hungry monster mom played by Angela Lansbury.
AND WHAT DOES LANSBURY THINK? ”I’m so unhappy,” says the 78-year-old actress, who earned an Oscar nod for her performance. ”I’m so sorry they had to mess with something that was so perfect. I couldn’t believe it when I heard they were remaking it. I said, ‘There’s no way they would be foolish enough to walk into that trap.”’
BUT IT’S MERYL STREEP! ”I have great admiration for her. She’ll probably be very interesting. I just wish she hadn’t chosen to do it.”
PRESIDENTIAL SEAL OF APPROVAL ”After Kennedy’s assassination, ‘The Manchurian Candidate’ was taken out of circulation. People feared it gave somebody the idea of shooting a politician with a rifle. But strangely enough, while we were making it, Kennedy was terribly excited about it. He adored the book and was a friend of Sinatra’s.”
NEXT The remake hits theaters July 30.
Posted June 25 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: 'Deadpool' star Ryan Reynolds reveals when he feels his sexiest
- Brenda Strong compares her 'Desperate Housewives' and 'The 100' characters
- See Arcade Fire's David Bowie tribute parade
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds’ daughter had cutest reaction to Super Bowl ad
- Get your first look at 'The Flash'-'Supergirl’ crossover
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds wants 9 daughters
- 'Scandal' star Bellamy Young talks Mellie's presidential chances
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday