MUSTWORTHINESS After steadily building a career on slick dance moves and even slicker R&B singles, the Chattanooga-born crooner finally claimed pop ubiquity this year by teaming with Lil Jon and Ludacris for the irresistible ”Yeah!” (Of course, his paparazzi-pleasing breakup with TLC’s Rozonda ”Chilli” Thomas didn’t exactly dim the limelight.) His fourth album, ”Confessions,” sold more than one million copies in its first week – the most ever by an R&B artist – and has gone platinum four times.
ON HIS MUST LIST Jackie Wilson. ”There was Jackie Wilson before there was Elvis Presley.”
HIS REAL FEELINGS ABOUT JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE ”It’s weird as hell to know that I’m possibly going to be on the same label as him. I feel like the guy is very smart, [but] I hate when [people] try to compare us…. He’s pop. I’m R&B, man. I create what pop is. He’s falling victim to what pop is. Not to say that’s a bad thing.”
OR TO PARAPHRASE MUHAMMAD ALI ”I’m prettier, I’m faster, I’m stronger. I’m Ali, baby. They say Justin was live, but I’ll take him in five.”
NEXT His U.S. tour with Kanye West starts in August.
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- Why Tidal's success (or failure) doesn't matter
- Celebrities express their support for Bruce Jenner
- Harry Styles will leave One Direction next, says Lance Bass
- Lena Dunham discusses sexual assault in powerful speech on feminism
- Kim Kardashian writes essay about her Armenian pilgrimage for TIME
- Entertainment Geekly: How pro-franchise optimism is changing Hollywood's approach to sequels
- Chris Pratt talks Nick Offerman, Anna Faris, Star-Lord in Reddit AMA