MUSTWORTHINESS Growing up, the oldest of director Ron Howard’s four kids popped up as an extra in her dad’s movies, starting with ”Parenthood” when she was 7. Now, with a much-buzzed-about debut in M. Night Shyamalan’s latest spooker, ”The Village” (opening July 30), she’s stepping into the spotlight.
JOINING THE FAMILY BUSINESS For years, Howard kept her interest in acting on the down low. ”I was extremely defensive about any assumptions anyone would make about me,” she says. ”People would say, ‘Oh, do you want to be an actor like your daddy?’ and I’d say, ‘No, I want to be a forensic anthropologist!”’
PAPA, DON’T PREACH Dad has spent his entire life in show business, but until recently his daughter had no interest in hearing his advice. ”I’d sort of been this a – hole child that was like, ‘Well, what do you know?’ But he has a tremendous amount of wisdom when it comes to this profession. It’s shocking to me!”
ON HER MUST LIST ”Dorothy Parker. There’s something about her writing that’s so sexy. And Audrey Hepburn – she’s plastered everywhere about my apartment.”
NEXT Assuming Nicole Kidman’s role in Lars von Trier’s ”Dogville” sequel, ”Manderlay.”.
Posted June 25 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Iggy Azalea calls out sexist media after Britney Spears tweets
- See the explosive teaser trailer for 'London Has Fallen'
- See an exclusive new look at 'Fear the Walking Dead'
- Everything you need to know about EW's Comic-Con 2015 coverage
- 'Tank Girl' director to helm 'Doctor Who' season finale
- Someone put Nicolas Cage's face on every 'Game of Thrones' character
- How 'Terminator: Genisys' re-created 1984 Arnold Schwarzenegger for the summer's coolest fight scene
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files': David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson portraits
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Lupita Nyong'o, Amber Heard, Rosario Dawson & More!