Maybe those darn modern kids think ”Spidey” and see Tobey, but walk up to any guy in his 40s and sing these two words: ”Spider-Man, Spider-Man.” Guaranteed, he’ll revert to age 10 and reply, ”Does whatever a spider can.” Even if Bob Harris’ theme is tattooed on the brainpan of a generation – ”Is he strong? Listen, bud/ He’s got radioactive blood” – nostalgia-mongers may not recall how WEIRD those 52 episodes of the Saturday-morning series were. To jog our collective memory comes The ‘67 Collection, six volumes of evidence that the animators were smoking something stronger than Benson & Hedges in their cubicles back then. The awkward draftsmanship and uninspired scripts haven’t aged well, but at least the bad guys – Doc Ock, the Lizard, the Vulture, et al. – come straight out of the Marvel comics. When the original animation company went bankrupt and Ralph Bakshi (soon to direct ”Fritz the Cat”) stepped in as exec producer for seasons 2 and 3, the villains got seriously strange and the visual trippiness went off the charts. Take ”Revolt in the Fifth Dimension,” a 1970 episode so lysergic that it features oil-painted nebulae, an insectoid alien named Infinata, flying green spermatozoa, and Spidey deciding it’s, like, all a dream. So, apparently, were the DVD extras – there are none.
Spider-Man: The '67 Collection Maybe those darn modern kids think ''Spidey'' and see Tobey, but walk up to any guy in his 40s and sing these two words: ''Spider-Man, Spider-Man.''...Spider-Man: The '67 CollectionUnrated Maybe those darn modern kids think ''Spidey'' and see Tobey, but walk up to any guy in his 40s and sing these two words: ''Spider-Man, Spider-Man.''...2004-06-25
(Spider-Man Courtesy Everett Collection)
MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted June 25 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Box office report: 'Focus' beats 'Fifty Shades'
- 'SNL' react: Your quick take on Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes?
- Kanye's new album: 'So Help Me God'
- 'Parks and Rec': On set for the final day
- John Green's 'Alaska' scriptwriters set
- Craig Ferguson set for ABC comedy pilot
- Will Smith back in 'Focus': What critics said
- 20 TV series that nailed it with their very first scenes
- 'Last Man on Earth' guys salute inspirations
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Susan Sarandon, Prince William and More!