Maybe those darn modern kids think ”Spidey” and see Tobey, but walk up to any guy in his 40s and sing these two words: ”Spider-Man, Spider-Man.” Guaranteed, he’ll revert to age 10 and reply, ”Does whatever a spider can.” Even if Bob Harris’ theme is tattooed on the brainpan of a generation – ”Is he strong? Listen, bud/ He’s got radioactive blood” – nostalgia-mongers may not recall how WEIRD those 52 episodes of the Saturday-morning series were. To jog our collective memory comes The ‘67 Collection, six volumes of evidence that the animators were smoking something stronger than Benson & Hedges in their cubicles back then. The awkward draftsmanship and uninspired scripts haven’t aged well, but at least the bad guys – Doc Ock, the Lizard, the Vulture, et al. – come straight out of the Marvel comics. When the original animation company went bankrupt and Ralph Bakshi (soon to direct ”Fritz the Cat”) stepped in as exec producer for seasons 2 and 3, the villains got seriously strange and the visual trippiness went off the charts. Take ”Revolt in the Fifth Dimension,” a 1970 episode so lysergic that it features oil-painted nebulae, an insectoid alien named Infinata, flying green spermatozoa, and Spidey deciding it’s, like, all a dream. So, apparently, were the DVD extras – there are none.
Spider-Man: The '67 Collection Maybe those darn modern kids think ''Spidey'' and see Tobey, but walk up to any guy in his 40s and sing these two words: ''Spider-Man, Spider-Man.''...Spider-Man: The '67 CollectionUnrated Maybe those darn modern kids think ''Spidey'' and see Tobey, but walk up to any guy in his 40s and sing these two words: ''Spider-Man, Spider-Man.''...2004-06-25
(Spider-Man Courtesy Everett Collection)
MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted June 25 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Survivor' players on the most shameless thing they did for fan votes
- Hugh Dancy explains that shocking 'Hannibal' series finale
- 'Hannibal' music supervisor on working with Siouxsie Sioux for the finale's song
- Ansel Elgort remembers former classmate after his death
- New 'Downton Abbey' trailer previews final season
- 'Les Miserables' actor dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!