MUSTWORTHINESS On her first-ever film audition, the Colombia native landed the role of a stoic drug mule in ”Maria Full of Grace,” stunned Sundance with her quiet bravado, and helped the film win an audience award.
BIG BREAK While she took acting classes at a Bogota theater, some anonymous supporter passed her name on to Maria’s casting agent. ”I never knew who that person was, to give them a hug.”
CULTURE SHOCK Two years ago she was studying advertising at college because ”if you do theater in Colombia you’ll die from hunger. Now I’m living in New York City. It’s changed my whole point of view on everything. Being independent, having a little apartment, cooking. In Colombia you live with your parents until you’re 25 and get a job and then get married.”
NEXT She’s waiting until Maria’s July 16 opening to start auditioning.
Posted June 25 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- First look: Danny Trejo joins 'From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series'
- New 'Magic Mike XXL' poster is all about the abs
- J.K. Rowling—er, Robert Galbraith—is editing the latest Cormoran Strike novel
- 'World War Z' sequel set for 2017 release
- 'Human Centipede 3': What disgusting prop did the director take home?
- Joyce Carol Oates expands on PEN award protest following award for 'Charlie Hebdo'
- David Letterman's studio was thrown in the trash
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Melissa McCarthy: Did you know she was in...?
- Kendall & Lily, Jon Bon Jovi, Chanel Iman and More!