MUSTWORTHINESS On her first-ever film audition, the Colombia native landed the role of a stoic drug mule in ”Maria Full of Grace,” stunned Sundance with her quiet bravado, and helped the film win an audience award.
BIG BREAK While she took acting classes at a Bogota theater, some anonymous supporter passed her name on to Maria’s casting agent. ”I never knew who that person was, to give them a hug.”
CULTURE SHOCK Two years ago she was studying advertising at college because ”if you do theater in Colombia you’ll die from hunger. Now I’m living in New York City. It’s changed my whole point of view on everything. Being independent, having a little apartment, cooking. In Colombia you live with your parents until you’re 25 and get a job and then get married.”
NEXT She’s waiting until Maria’s July 16 opening to start auditioning.
Posted June 25 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Danny Brown drops new album three days early
- Kevin Kline to return to Broadway in Noël Coward's 'Present Laughter'
- 'Blindspot' star Sullivan Stapleton reacts to Weller's big news
- Tony Awards set the date for 2017 ceremony
- 'Stranger Things' star Gaten Matarazzo opens up about genetic disorder
- Marvel's 'Doctor Strange' conjures up 15-minute IMAX sneak peek
- Debra Messing wants a 'naughty' 'Will & Grace' revival