With The Ghost Writer, his intricate and engrossing first novel, John Harwood raises the ghost of the Victorian ghost story, goosing the action with a modern spin. Gerard Freeman, growing up in Australia with his secretive British-born mother, stumbles across a puzzling photograph and later an eerie short story written by his great-grandmother. Given Mom’s violent response to his first discovery – ”Tufts of hair stuck out from her head; the whites of her eyes seemed to be spilling out of their sockets” – Gerard senses that herein lies a clue to her mysterious past. Meanwhile, he acquires a seductive British pen pal named Alice who, over the years, is strangely unavailable whenever Gerard visits England. Add to that a creaky old house, a long-ago love triangle, and some antique radiation instruments, and you’ve got one ghoulishly absorbing read.
The Ghost Writer With The Ghost Writer, his intricate and engrossing first novel, John Harwood raises the ghost of the Victorian ghost story, goosing the action...The Ghost WriterFictionJohn Harwood With The Ghost Writer, his intricate and engrossing first novel, John Harwood raises the ghost of the Victorian ghost story, goosing the action...2004-06-30
Genre: Fiction; Author: John Harwood
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- 'Outlander' postmortem: EP Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on sexy, surreal season premiere
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany on season premiere choking and spanking
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!