Ted Botha is a journalist. He’s also a mongo collector – an odd breed who scavenge off the street. Mongo examines Botha’s comrades, a patchy group of tribes living off the grid in New York City. Each chapter looks at a different subspecies, from ”canners” who rely on bottle returns to ”anarchists” who dumpster-dive for food; from amateur archaeologists who excavate 19th-century outhouses to dealers who sift through discarded books for first editions. In essence, Botha (who has freelanced at EW as a copy editor) is exploring fascinating questions of value. What is trash? How much of our history – be it personal, political, or social – do we put on the curb in black plastic bags? It’s delightfully weird, and thought-provoking enough to make you consider panning through garbage for gold.
Mongo: Adventures in Trash Ted Botha is a journalist. He's also a mongo collector -- an odd breed who scavenge off the street. Mongo examines Botha's comrades, a patchy...Mongo: Adventures in TrashNonfictionTed Botha Ted Botha is a journalist. He's also a mongo collector -- an odd breed who scavenge off the street. Mongo examines Botha's comrades, a patchy...2004-06-30
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Ted Botha
Posted June 30 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Tank Girl' director to helm 'Doctor Who' season finale
- Someone put Nicolas Cage's face on every 'Game of Thrones' character
- How 'Terminator: Genisys' re-created 1984 Arnold Schwarzenegger for the summer's coolest fight scene
- Demi Lovato drops infectious new track, 'Cool For The Summer'
- John Green reveals the inspiration behind 'Paper Towns' — exclusive
- Jon Hamm introduces a montage of Jon Stewart's most memorable musical moments
- ‘Dukes of Hazzard’ off TV Land schedule
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files': David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson portraits
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Lupita Nyong'o, Amber Heard, Rosario Dawson & More!