Why do people even have children?” screams a kid-tormented rent-a-cop (played by poor, slumming Steve Carell). Sleepover, Hollywood’s latest slimy incursion into very early adolescence, leaves the question tantalizingly unanswered. Our heroine Julie (”Spy Kids”’ Latina Alexa Vega, carefully shorn of ethnicity) and her nail-polish-deep friends say stupid, improbable things like ”For the love of carbs!” and do stupid, improbable things like enter a competitive scavenger hunt against the witchy ”Pleathers,” whom they resemble in every aspect save their noble tolerance for the token fat girl. But at heart (and I use the term figuratively), they’re all Brownie terroristas, brand-dropping their way from B&E to light fetish (shoe-sniffing and voyeurism – not just for boys anymore!) to an Internet rendezvous with a lonely male teacher. How adorably illegal! Yes, it’s all a harmless lark. Which is why the only thing that could redeem this sour patch of candy-coated crud would be a final shot of Earth exploding.
(Sleepover: Dale Robinette)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Jeff Garlin, Alexa Vega, Mika Boorem, Steve Carell, Brie Larson, Jane Lynch; Director: Joe Nussbaum; Author: Elisa Bell; Release Date Wide: 07/09/2004; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: United Artists (MGM)
Posted July 7 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Anthony Geary may return to 'General Hospital' if 'story is interesting'
- See the first trailer for Michael Bay's Benghazi movie
- Did 'Scream' just reveal the killer?
- Cindy Crawford is developing NBC series about fashion in the '80s
- Chris Pine reportedly signed for 'Wonder Woman'
- 'Orange Is the New Black': What happened to Nicky Nichols?
- 'Empire' creator goes behind the scenes of 'American Crime Story'
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Ellie Kemper, Matthew Fox, The VS Angels & More!