Why do people even have children?” screams a kid-tormented rent-a-cop (played by poor, slumming Steve Carell). Sleepover, Hollywood’s latest slimy incursion into very early adolescence, leaves the question tantalizingly unanswered. Our heroine Julie (”Spy Kids”’ Latina Alexa Vega, carefully shorn of ethnicity) and her nail-polish-deep friends say stupid, improbable things like ”For the love of carbs!” and do stupid, improbable things like enter a competitive scavenger hunt against the witchy ”Pleathers,” whom they resemble in every aspect save their noble tolerance for the token fat girl. But at heart (and I use the term figuratively), they’re all Brownie terroristas, brand-dropping their way from B&E to light fetish (shoe-sniffing and voyeurism – not just for boys anymore!) to an Internet rendezvous with a lonely male teacher. How adorably illegal! Yes, it’s all a harmless lark. Which is why the only thing that could redeem this sour patch of candy-coated crud would be a final shot of Earth exploding.
(Sleepover: Dale Robinette)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Jeff Garlin, Alexa Vega, Mika Boorem, Steve Carell, Brie Larson, Jane Lynch; Director: Joe Nussbaum; Author: Elisa Bell; Release Date Wide: 07/09/2004; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: United Artists (MGM)
Posted July 7 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Neil Young thought Florence Welch was 'a man with a high voice'
- 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' reboot?
- Blink-182 v. Tom DeLonge: 'friendly divorce'
- Rob Delaney and Sharon Horgan make messy love in Amazon’s 'Catastrophe'
- How Walk the Moon scored a summer pop hit in 'Shut Up and Dance'
- Jason Segel's 'Nightmares!' sequel: Read an excerpt
- Archie Panjabi on Kalinda-Alicia 'Good Wife' goodbye
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- Ben Affleck, Taylor Swift, the Entourage Guys & More!