The Fantasia vs. Diana vote on ”American Idol” two months ago may have been close, but their rematch at the record store was not. ”Idol” winner Fantasia Barrino’s single ”I Believe” more than held its own against Diana DeGarmo’s ”Dreams,” even though ”I Believe” had already been in stores for a week. ”I Believe” (backed with ”Chain of Fools” and ”Summertime”) remained atop the Billboard singles chart and sold another 81,000 copies, according to SoundScan, down from 142,000 last week. ”Dreams” (backed with ”Don’t Cry Out Loud” and DeGarmo’s own version of ”I Believe”) debuted in second place, selling 65,000. At least both singers can say they outsold reality TV newcomer Ashlee Simpson. Despite her current MTV series, Jessica’s sister sold just 8,000 copies of her first single, ”Pieces of Me,” though that was enough for a third-place debut.
(Fantasia Barrino: Chuck Burton/AP)
Posted July 8 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Michael Douglas' mother dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!