The Fantasia vs. Diana vote on ”American Idol” two months ago may have been close, but their rematch at the record store was not. ”Idol” winner Fantasia Barrino’s single ”I Believe” more than held its own against Diana DeGarmo’s ”Dreams,” even though ”I Believe” had already been in stores for a week. ”I Believe” (backed with ”Chain of Fools” and ”Summertime”) remained atop the Billboard singles chart and sold another 81,000 copies, according to SoundScan, down from 142,000 last week. ”Dreams” (backed with ”Don’t Cry Out Loud” and DeGarmo’s own version of ”I Believe”) debuted in second place, selling 65,000. At least both singers can say they outsold reality TV newcomer Ashlee Simpson. Despite her current MTV series, Jessica’s sister sold just 8,000 copies of her first single, ”Pieces of Me,” though that was enough for a third-place debut.
(Fantasia Barrino: Chuck Burton/AP)
Posted July 8 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Stephen Colbert counters Jeb Bush's 'Late Show' raffle with his own contest
- On the set of 'American Horror Story: Hotel': A foursome with Lady Gaga and Matt Bomer
- Steven Spielberg’s DreamWorks could leave Disney next year
- 'Jack Reacher 2' starring Tom Cruise gets a release date
- Stan Lee says 'Fantastic Four' flopped because he didn’t have a cameo
- Dean Jones, The Love Bug and That Darn Cat actor, dies at 84
- 'Wildest Dreams' director responds to allegations of colonialism in Taylor Swift video
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!