Pet funerals, faked amnesia, clairvoyant visions on QVC, a minor-league pro wrestler who hears Jesus through his hearing aid another who swears heaven sounds like Patsy Cline, and a stadium-size asteroid heading directly for Earth. Yeah, there’s much to ”Buddy Cooper” that lands just this side of bizarre, but somehow it all makes a silly kind of sense. Connelly’s titular hero – a perpetually losing wrestler dubbed the Unknown Kentucky Terror – delivers an endearing mix of self-effacement, wonder, warmth, downtrodden despair, and fury that’s both comic and chilling. In fact, his storytelling hand is so steady that we almost forget that it’s really just your basic ne’er-do-well father-and-ex-husband redemption tale, albeit one with a cameo by Patrick Swayze.
Buddy Cooper Finds A Way Pet funerals, faked amnesia, clairvoyant visions on QVC, a minor-league pro wrestler who hears Jesus through his hearing aid another who swears heaven...Buddy Cooper Finds A WayFictionNeil O'Boyle Connelly Pet funerals, faked amnesia, clairvoyant visions on QVC, a minor-league pro wrestler who hears Jesus through his hearing aid another who swears heaven...2004-07-09
Genre: Fiction; Author: Neil O'Boyle Connelly
Posted July 9 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Did 'Scream' just reveal the killer?
- Cindy Crawford is developing NBC series about fashion in the '80s
- Chris Pine reportedly signed for 'Wonder Woman'
- 'Orange Is the New Black': What happened to Nicky Nichols?
- 'Empire' creator goes behind the scenes of 'American Crime Story'
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall talks controversial elimination
- 'Doctor Who' is headed to theaters in September
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- The Hemsworths, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise & More!