David Bowie’s Reality Tour got a little too real, thanks to a health scare that forced him to scrap the remaining dates on his European trek. On June 25, after a concert in Germany, the 57-year-old rocker complained of a pinched nerve. Doctors examined him and found something far more serious: an acutely blocked artery. After undergoing an emergency angioplasty to clear the blockage, Bowie returned home to New York this week to be with his family and convalesce from the surgery, according to a statement. He’s canceled all 11 remaining dates of his European tour but hopes to return to work in August. ”I’m so p—ed off because the last 10 months of this tour have been so f—ing fantastic,” Bowie said. ”Can’t wait to be fully recovered and get back to work again. I tell you what, though, I won’t be writing a song about this one.”
(David Bowie: George De Sota-FWD/AP)
Posted July 9 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Wes Craven's 5 most twistedly influential films
- A$AP Rocky brings 'L$D' to the VMAs
- Celebrity reactions to Kanye West's MTV VMAs speech
- Miley Cyrus announces new album during VMAs performance
- 'Bad Blood' wins Video of the Year at the MTV VMAs
- The most GIF-able moments from this year's MTV VMAs
- 'I Am Cait' recap: 'The Dating Game'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!