The eighth novel about African-American sleuth Easy Rawlins is being touted as Mosley’s best book yet, and it may well be. Set in the immediate aftermath of the 1965 Watts riots, it finds L.A. police enlisting a now middle-aged Rawlins to track down the possibly white murderer of a black woman without setting off more civic unrest. There’s a feverish intensity to this one that doesn’t let up, with racial and sexual conundrums piling up like so much tinder on the protagonist’s overheated emotions. Mosley juggles the disparate elements of his tale masterfully, avoiding the convoluted plotting that has occasionally made some of his other work a tough slog. This time, he comes up with a winner. Hey, who says Bill Clinton (who once called Mosley his favorite thriller writer) doesn’t have keen literary instincts?
Little Scarlet The eighth novel about African-American sleuth Easy Rawlins is being touted as Mosley's best book yet, and it may well be. Set in the immediate...Little ScarletFictionWalter Mosley The eighth novel about African-American sleuth Easy Rawlins is being touted as Mosley's best book yet, and it may well be. Set in the immediate...2004-07-09
Genre: Fiction; Author: Walter Mosley
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- Jason Sudeikis looks back at 'SNL' and ahead towards 'Fletch'
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!