Not unlike lit-study staple Raymond Carver, Bausch gets his hands dirty when he’s writing. In three dramatic, highly volatile novellas – one published for the first time – Bausch plumbs the muck-filled depths of interpersonal relationships. His new story, ”Requisite Kindness,” is also the weakest, though it succeeds in discomforting as it enters the lonely world of Henry Hutton, a ”coddled and spoiled” middle-ager facing his mother’s impending death. The thrilling ”Spirits” finds a restless academic entangled in webs of marital deceit (his boss’ and his own) that nearly destroy his career, while ”Rare & Endangered Species” studies how one ordinary woman’s suicide can affect both her closest friends and never-seen neighbors across town. These fascinating stories, written by someone who clearly delights in human foibles, deliver unflinching gut punches while remaining undeniably moving.
Wives & Lovers Not unlike lit-study staple Raymond Carver, Bausch gets his hands dirty when he's writing. In three dramatic, highly volatile novellas -- one...Wives & LoversFictionRichard Bausch Not unlike lit-study staple Raymond Carver, Bausch gets his hands dirty when he's writing. In three dramatic, highly volatile novellas -- one...2004-07-16
Genre: Fiction; Author: Richard Bausch
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- 'Daily Show' correspondent Aasif Mandvi thinks Trevor Noah backlash is 'much ado about nothing'
- Jeremy Clarkson of 'Top Gear' gets another chance, will tour with former co-hosts
- Patton Oswalt defends new 'Daily Show' host Trevor Noah in Twitter rant
- Rumored 'Star Wars' spin-off star Ben Mendelsohn talks his love of the series: Exclusive
- Dustin Lynch checks in from tour, talks 'On The DL,' spring break, and his new single
- Steven Tyler is going country
- Netflix's binge-watching warnings are the best April Fool's prank
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!