Not unlike lit-study staple Raymond Carver, Bausch gets his hands dirty when he’s writing. In three dramatic, highly volatile novellas – one published for the first time – Bausch plumbs the muck-filled depths of interpersonal relationships. His new story, ”Requisite Kindness,” is also the weakest, though it succeeds in discomforting as it enters the lonely world of Henry Hutton, a ”coddled and spoiled” middle-ager facing his mother’s impending death. The thrilling ”Spirits” finds a restless academic entangled in webs of marital deceit (his boss’ and his own) that nearly destroy his career, while ”Rare & Endangered Species” studies how one ordinary woman’s suicide can affect both her closest friends and never-seen neighbors across town. These fascinating stories, written by someone who clearly delights in human foibles, deliver unflinching gut punches while remaining undeniably moving.
Wives & Lovers Not unlike lit-study staple Raymond Carver, Bausch gets his hands dirty when he's writing. In three dramatic, highly volatile novellas -- one...Wives & LoversFictionRichard Bausch Not unlike lit-study staple Raymond Carver, Bausch gets his hands dirty when he's writing. In three dramatic, highly volatile novellas -- one...2004-07-16
Genre: Fiction; Author: Richard Bausch
Posted July 16 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Michael Douglas' mother dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!