When in doubt, goof on the ’70s. That’s the lesson of the big-screen version of Starsky & Hutch, where the laughs come from Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson parodying the polyester excesses of the disco decade. Bits from the show get regurgitated in the Stiller-Wilson revamp: Hutch’s wealthy-cowboy disguise is a tip of the hat to episode 12. (Starsky alter ego Maury Finkle, by contrast, is all Stiller and pure genius.) The film sustains a genial mockery that extends to the extras: In the droll on-set documentary, everyone in the cast expresses intense loathing for everyone else. Even Soul and Glaser, poker-faced as ever, drop by to dump on the proceedings.
(Starsky and Hutch: Melinda Sue Gordon)
Starring: Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson; Starring: Snoop Dogg, Carmen Electra, Vince Vaughn, Fred Williamson; Director: Todd Phillips; Author: Scot Armstrong, John O'Brien, Todd Phillips; Release Date Wide: 03/05/2004; Runtime (in minutes): 97; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More