Families from 3,000 centuries – or perhaps it’s just three and feels like so many more – populate Blackbird House, Hoffman’s turgid collection of interwoven short stories set on a Cape Cod farm. Hoffman (”Practical Magic”) spins a phantasmagoria of color – a white blackbird, red boots, apricot light, purple, pink, and white sweet peas, and a woman named Violet – at the expense of plot, exposition, and dialogue. Somewhere in this rainbow, sons die, lovers leave, and people get married, but who cares? The characters are so unrefined and underwritten it would take a genealogist to untangle their relationships. That leaves you rooting for the return of a very hungry halibut, who makes a meal of a fisherman early in the book, to put the rest of these folks out of their (and your) misery.
Blackbird House Families from 3,000 centuries -- or perhaps it's just three and feels like so many more -- populate Blackbird House, Hoffman's turgid ...Blackbird HouseFictionAlice Hoffman Families from 3,000 centuries -- or perhaps it's just three and feels like so many more -- populate Blackbird House, Hoffman's turgid ...2004-07-23
Genre: Fiction; Author: Alice Hoffman
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- USA's 'Mr. Robot' to premiere online May 27 via EW, iTunes, Amazon, among others
- Director Amy Berg talks about the need for more female directors
- 'SNL' host poll: How'd Scarlett Johansson do?
- James Taylor debuts Boston Red Sox song
- 'Winter Is Coming Live': Let's talk latest shocking 'Game of Thrones' twist
- Kim Kardashian’s book of selfies is in good company
- Lauryn Hill apologizes to Nigerian fans with awesome acoustic performance
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Britney Spears, Orlando Bloom, Solange & More!