Families from 3,000 centuries – or perhaps it’s just three and feels like so many more – populate Blackbird House, Hoffman’s turgid collection of interwoven short stories set on a Cape Cod farm. Hoffman (”Practical Magic”) spins a phantasmagoria of color – a white blackbird, red boots, apricot light, purple, pink, and white sweet peas, and a woman named Violet – at the expense of plot, exposition, and dialogue. Somewhere in this rainbow, sons die, lovers leave, and people get married, but who cares? The characters are so unrefined and underwritten it would take a genealogist to untangle their relationships. That leaves you rooting for the return of a very hungry halibut, who makes a meal of a fisherman early in the book, to put the rest of these folks out of their (and your) misery.
Blackbird House Families from 3,000 centuries -- or perhaps it's just three and feels like so many more -- populate Blackbird House, Hoffman's turgid ...Blackbird HouseFictionAlice Hoffman Families from 3,000 centuries -- or perhaps it's just three and feels like so many more -- populate Blackbird House, Hoffman's turgid ...2004-07-23
Genre: Fiction; Author: Alice Hoffman
Posted July 23 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- This was Chris Pratt's craziest day on the set of 'Jurassic World'
- Why Michael Fassbender loves taking risks
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Marion Cotillard, Jason Derulo, Serena Williams and More!