Chandra Levy, self-storage facilities, ”Star Wars” fanatics, and water-bed saleswomen receive equally lovely treatment from Washington Post writer Stuever’s razor-sharp eye. Rightly calling himself ”a man who thinks too much and too sadly about that which is faddish and gone,” Stuever homes in on the banal but still-beating heart of Americana from stints in Albuquerque, Austin, and D.C. ”Xanadu Tuesdays” gives roller disco aficionados a wistful shout-out; ”All Faiths” considers the competitive verve of a Texas funeral director; and ”Notes on Kamp” (slyly aping the title of Susan Sontag’s landmark 1964 treatise) takes readers into the nether regions of a KOA Kamp-ground. In Off Ramp, Stuever writes in a warm, knowing tone well-suited to his low-key subjects, and because he misses nothing, these meaningful stories offer a master class in top-notch journalism.
Off RampChandra Levy, self-storage facilities, ''Star Wars'' fanatics, and water-bed saleswomen receive equally lovely treatment from Washington Post writer...Off RampEssaysHank StueverChandra Levy, self-storage facilities, ''Star Wars'' fanatics, and water-bed saleswomen receive equally lovely treatment from Washington Post writer...2004-07-23
Genre: Essays; Author: Hank Stuever
Posted January 17 2015 — 6:16 AM EST
- Zayn Malik thanks One Direction at event
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!