”Star Wars” fans at this past weekend’s Comic-Con in San Diego not only got to see a sneak preview of the much-anticipated Anakin Skywalker/Obi-Wan Kenobi duel, but they also learned the title of the upcoming final ”Star Wars” movie in a manner befitting a franchise that’s one of the galaxy’s biggest cash machines. After screening a video presentation, Lucasfilm reps announced that the title is ”Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith,” then immediately made T-shirts bearing the new title available for purchase. The title, a reference to the anti-Jedi forces behind the rise of the evil Empire, and a nice parallel with the conclusion of the earlier trilogy, ”Return of the Jedi,” seemed to go over well with the hardcore faithful gathered at the convention. Reuters reported that the auditorium erupted in cheers with the announcement of the title of the last film, due in theaters next May. ”It’s certainly an improvement over the first two,” 31-year-old fan Ken Simmons told USA Today. ”I just hope no one confuses it with ‘Revenge of the Nerds,”’ said Simmons, who spent most of the convention dressed as an imperial stormtrooper. Insert your own joke here.
(Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones: © & TM Lucasfilm, Ltd.)
Posted July 26 2004 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Vin Diesel brought his daughter to the set of 'Fast 8'
- David Spade, John Mellencamp, Rosanna Arquette to guest on 'Roadies'
- 17 reasons ‘Ever After’ is the best Cinderella movie ever
- Critical Mass: What the critics are saying about 'Jason Bourne'
- 'TWD: Jeffrey Dean Morgan is swearing up a storm as Negan in season 7
- The Chanels are back in new 'Scream Queens' season 2 teaser
- 'Jason Bourne': Killer details about that crazy first action sequence